BMI Live

Mike McLaughlin

• Members

Are any of you playing out your own material? Although my gigs are mostly cover songs, I usually throw in a couple/few of my own songs. I am registered with BMI as my PRO, and last year they started a new program called BMI live. I started late with the program, and only reported about half of last season's gigs. I received close to $500 in royalty payments for playing my own songs!

Any other singer/songwriters taking advantage of BMI Live?

• Members

hi there,...

wow congratulations.. great idea and good work.

i dont live in the US so i cant avail of it but id sure give it a try if i did..

i reckon thats a great initiative that, it encourages people to write and it ensures they get heard to at least some level.

and the artist gets some kind of reward for their efforts

good for you ';)

D

• Members

I just realized..I had better check with some of the venues.....see if they have that little "BMI" sticker on the door.I dont want anyone hassled.Years ago(the 70's!),my band played in a place where the owner had just been hassled for not paying the fee to either ASCAP,or BMI..dont remember which one,and he actually made us take out the non-paid for songs from our songlist!

• Members

John, yes, I asked the venue first if they had a BMI license, I don't want to cause a hassle either.

I answered your question about how involved the reporting process was earlier, but a notice came up and said the post had to be approved by a mod. Don't know what that was about. All I posted was some copied text from BMI's website. Anyway, you have to set up a direct deposit to your bank, then you add dates, venues, and songs played using your account on the BMI website. Currently, they are accepting dates between April-November 2011.

• Members

Are any of you playing out your own material? Although my gigs are mostly cover songs, I usually throw in a couple/few of my own songs. I am registered with BMI as my PRO, and last year they started a new program called BMI live. I started late with the program, and only reported about half of last season's gigs. I received close to $500 in royalty payments for playing my own songs!

Any other singer/songwriters taking advantage of BMI Live?

Yes, indeed! Joined BMI in 1994. :thu:

Archived