New TC Helicon unit

amx13

• Members

Hey guys, I just saw this:

http://www.premierguitar.com/Magazine/Issue/Daily/News/TC_Helicon_Announces_the_New_VoiceLive_Play_GTX.aspx

Sounds like a great idea, having both the vocal and guitar effects in a single unit, hopefully someone can get his hands in one and tell us how it sounds in real life situations...so far I like what I see! :love:

• Members

That's a great idea. I currently run my mic and guitar into a Digitech VL2, then run the mic to the mixer and the guitar out to a Digitech RP250 then into the mixer.

It'd be great to have everything in one box to cut down on floor clutter onstage. Plus it looks like the new unit does a bunch of other interesting stuff. I'll check it out at NAMM tomorrow.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

I just received my voicelive play GTX late yesterday afternoon. This will replace my digitech Vocalist 4 for sure. I've not had much time to play with it yet, but I have figured out that connected to my computer via USB, I am able to send MIDI patch changes, and toggle the "hit" button (harmonies) on and off. Audio can also come through the USB, but it doesn't sound quite right, still figuring that out. If audio worked better, I would have one less interface (Tascam US-122). Instead of connecting the VL play GTX via USB, I could come out of the Tascam via MIDI cable into the VL play GTX for patch/harmony changes.

Even so, this will make my live performance so much better and easier. Since my backing tracks play through Sonar, I am able to edit the song by adding a new midi track that controls the patch (VL play GTX setting), and have the harmony kick on and off automatically when required! Or change settings mid song. I no longer have to worry about hitting the harmony footpedal at the correct time (or tapping the wrong button!), and can concentrate on my singing, playing and audience eye contact!

I can also send a MIDI command to change the guitar effects automatically for a solo. I haven't had time to run through all the guitar amp models and effects yet, but this adds a new dimension to my rig!

I'm like a kid with a new toy!

Anyone interested in my Digitech Vocalist 4?

• Members

Quick update: The audio problem is fixed, just needed to have sonar re-profile the latency of the voicelive.

So now, I can have less wires. I can run the backing track audio as well as the midi data through the USB to the VL, and can set the mix of guitar, vocals, harmony, and backtracks all in the voicelive play GTX, then run one XLR cable out to the BOSE PA! I'm stoked!

• Members

Oh....I may have to buy this! Any read on the quality of the acoustic guitar effects--especially reverb and chorus?

Sounds good to me. You can pick from 11 amps, 41 styles, and then you can fine tune the following:

?Mod Style - Includes effects like Chorus, Flange, Rotor etc.

?Mod Level - Controls the overall level of the effect. (OFF-0dB)

Delay Style - Includes effects that repeat the guitar input in various ways.

Delay Level - Controls the overall level of the effect. (OFF-0dB)

Reverb Style - Placed the guitar into a simulated physical space.

Reverb Level - Controls the overall level of the effect. (OFF-0dB)

*These effects are independent of the settings for vocals. For example, you can use one type of Delay on your voice and another on your guitar.

Here is a copy of the manual

Also, how long can the looper go?

Not a whole lot, 15 seconds with undo feature set, 30 seconds without undo. But the cool thing is you can set the loop input to record from:

1. LEAD + GUITAR

• Members

To be honest, I haven't even had time to check out the looping feature. I spent the last couple days testing out different vocal and guitar settings and programming my backtracks to automatically change patches for each song, and kick the harmonies on and off. I was able to get about 25-30% of my songs done.

I jumped in with both feet (not having to use my feet) at last night's gig. It worked out pretty well, and I was more into it since I didn't have to keep my foot hovering over a harmonizer pedal. Judging from the audience reaction, it sounded great. Some of the settings I programmed will need to change, but for the most part, the guitar and vocal settings sound awesome. I don't have to re-edit the harmonizer on/off program, just change the midi patch for a couple songs to a different setting.

I will play around with the looping feature and report back. The unit comes with a power supply, a USB cable (mini-USB jack on the unit), and a worthless getting started cartoon. The manual, and list of patches is available on-line. You also need to download another program called voice support, it does firmware updates, writes/stores settings, archives any custom settings you create, and also give access to new patches from TC. They say they will release a new series each month.

Archived