6 or 12? Piezos?

darreno27

• Members

I carry both to any acoustic gig, and use each about equally...I make up sets of 5 or 6 "12-string songs", then 5 or 6 "6-string songs" and about every other song involves racked harmonica and sprinkle in fingerpicked songs amongst flat-picked/strummed songs...variety is the key!

Can't help w/ the Piezo electic solid body guitars under $600 used question, but someone'll be along to offer their wisdom.

• Members

All my guitar stuff is played on my 12-string. I play mostly original or traditional folk-style music and even though many of my songs were written on the 6-string, they sound great on the 12'er.

Can't help you on the other as I have no knowledge of such things. As Terry says, someone will come along who does and you will probably hear plenty of conflicting advice. :lol:

• Members

I also bring both 6- and 12-string guitars to my solo gigs, and find it's about 65% 6-string, 35% 12-string... although different nights result in different ratios.

Here are some electric solid body guitars with piezo bridges (probably could be had around $600 used, maybe):

Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster (around $900 new)

The Parkers can get expensive, but you might find a bargain somewhere.

And there are always a bunch of used Variaxes on Ebay.

Good luck!

:rawk:

• Members

I recently tried using a JT-59 Variax, which includes 6- and 12-string acoustic (and electric) models. It was very convenient to be able to transition from one sound to the other with the push of a button - no switching guitars between songs, and only one guitar to take to the gig. Not necessarily perfect reproductions of the instruments modelled (J-200, D-28, D-18-0, D-28-12, 0-18, and Guild F212), but pleasing and sufficiently convincing for most gigging purposes.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

My RP-355 pedal does a decent acoustic simulation for much less than your price.

My Parker DF has a piezo in it, but it sounds a little thin. I mostly use it mixed with the mag pickups for some extra twang or jangle - and it's way above your price point.

If it were me, I'd go with the pedal and one guitar.

Archived