Vocalist Live 3 on the way.

busdriver72

• Members

Well, I bit the bullet. I'd been eyeballing one for a while and found one on eBay. It was manufacturer refurbished with full warranty. The seller had outstanding feedback. When I went to Buy It Now I got a notice that because it was an electronic device eBay would give me a 10% off coupon code. With the discount and free shipping it only cost me around $200. Not too bad I think.

• Members

You know, even though you know what it's gonna do...it's still kinda freaky to hear it. I've never messed with one of these before, so to me it's alot of fun. My wife got a kick out of it. I lead the youth group in songs on Wed evenings so I took it to church. When I kicked the harmonies in there were lots of smiles...they got a kick out it, too.

I imagine the VL4 will sound even better.

One thing I haven't figured out quite yet is that when I click the effects on, there is an echo. I thought maybe it was the reverb, so tried every adjustment possible. It is a definite echo, not a reverb. I'll keep piddlin' with it. I would post a video of me using it but I'm afraid my amatuerism would overcome too many folks.

• Members

One thing I haven't figured out quite yet is that when I click the effects on, there is an echo. I thought maybe it was the reverb, so tried every adjustment possible. It is a definite echo, not a reverb. I'll keep piddlin' with it. I would post a video of me using it but I'm afraid my amatuerism would overcome too many folks.

You're probably hearing your own voice transmitted through your body in your noggin. To the audience, there is no echo.

• Members

I have one and love it. my wife, not so much. the great thing about it is that you can plug your guitar in, your mic in, (yeah, it has phantom power too!) run that mix straight to your powered speakers and BAM! whole rig set up and broken down in 10 mins! I do have to admit though, sometimes I can't tell which one of the 3 voices I'm actually singing. makes for interesting blems in performances from time to time......

• 1 month later...
  • Members

had to reopen this thread. i bought a vl3 and received it today. i've been using midi harmonizers and that really is the easiest for me since i still use midi BTs. set it and forget it. it does everything automaticly thru midi.

anyway, there are times i dont setup my entire rig and just go with mp3 backing tracks. i usually dont use harmony when i use my mp3 BTs, but since this harmonizer feeds off my guitar, i figured i'd give it a try. i decided for the extra few dollars to get a new vl3 instead of the vl2 or the vl4. it works just fine for the 3rd above, which i mainly use. there will be very few songs i use 3 part harmony.

there is reverb and delay settings for the vocal. there are dials on the unit that allow you to adjust both on your vocal. thats nice. there also is reverb and chorus for the guitar. gender settings are cool, but i'll mainly use mine with one male harmony above me. the humanizing feature is nice where it randomly offsets the harmony so its not an axact match to you. there seems to be no coloration in the guitar when i go thru the vl3 to the mixer. i was worried there might be. the noise gate feature needs to be set to the volume your playing at. if you have a monitor and your BT music is coming back to you, it does feed thru the harmonizer. so you have to set the noise gate a little higher. seems to be a very quiet unit. not the hiss that i hear on the earlier versions of the vocalist.

also i play quite a bit of lead behind the vocal. as long as i give it reference to the chord i'm singing in, it stays in tune pretty good.

i'm sure it will serve its purpose in the settings i will be using it. main thing i'll have to remember is to turn it on and off when needed. but i'm sure that wont be an issue.

i paid 225 shipped off of ebay for it new. thats really just a drop in the bucket when it comes to harmonizers. this one will be around me for a while. main thing is to not overuse it.

Archived