Live Performance Feedback

steven.derz

• Members

Hey guys, thought I would post this link from one of my nights at the bar the other night to get some feedback from you guys that have been doing this for some time.

http://soundcloud.com/steve-derz/sets/steve-derz-live-on-the-roxx-4

I have started actively searching for more venues, and for now I am looking for some overall comments maybe some things concerning tone,effects, or just overall performance wise to sound more professional or anything you have on your mind. Also wondering what you guys have found to be the best way to market yourself, do you go to bars to speak to the owner and bring cd's or what?

The audio quality isn't great, obviously you don't get all of the lows and what not, but I run an acoustic guitar into a boss me-70 and loop bass, percussion, etc. I'm sure you have seen this I also use the digitech vocalist live 5 for backing vocals, which to my surprise generates more interest than the looper.

If you can help it, spare me the "you suck" I'm working at it!

Thanks in advance for any substantial response.

• Moderators

welcome steven...

1)If it were me, I would trim down all the room chatter on teh front end otf the tracks...

2) are you 'building' your loops live? It just seemed to take too long for the vocal to come in, so I assumed tha twas what you're doing.

• Members

Agree with daddymack.

I think that using loops is a cool thing but if every song has a looong build up it becomes a gimick. Maybe you can do it in a couple if tunes, kinda like interacting with the audience and talking them through what you are doing so they can appreciate it, but pre track the others so you just play the song, is that possible?

Rod

• Members

Thanks for the thoughts guys,

I realize the quality is not very good, these were taking with a cheapo digital recorder so the crowd noise is stuck for now, i am going to try putting the recoder in a different location for the next time.

I do build some loops and have some pre-recorded, and do some just acoustic songs to avoid the gimick-ness. But I suppose I could always work on getting into them a bit faster to avoid losing people.

• Members

are you 'building' your loops live? It just seemed to take too long for the vocal to come in, so I assumed tha twas what you're doing

Yeah this is the only thing I would try to change. Maybe do a few things at once to build that loop quick. When I loop multiple things I try to keep it at 3 or less loops. You can beatbox while playing the bass line, etc.

• Members

I think some of your songs are too slow i.e. Riders on the Storm. Also, if you connect a recording device to tape out on your mixer, you'll get less crowd noise and better quality. I use a minidisc recorder this way and it works pretty good.

• Members

I can't help with the technicalities of loopers etc - I'm not a guitarist, but I agree about the length of time it takes for your vocal to kick in being too long.

And the tempo of the songs being too slow.

Your version of Low Rider for example, it's almost two minutes before you sing, and the intro isn't delivering anything spectacular to hold the audience's attention.

If you think back to the days when Artistes released singles that only lasted approx three & a half minutes - they did that for a very good reason. It was because the listener's attention span was short and they needed to get their attention and keep their attention so they would buy their product.

And short songs which kick in pretty quick and have something to grab and hold them to the end are popular.

If you are just playing 'boom, chick, boom, chick' for a almost two of those minutes - you've probably lost the audience before you start to sing.

So, to recap, keep the intro short if it is a simple intro, and have a nice mix of light and shade, slow and fast tempo songs in the running order.

Maybe begin with a couple of slow-ish ones to ease yourself in, and then.......... go get 'em.

Hope that helps?

• Members

If you think back to the days when Artistes released singles that only lasted approx three & a half minutes - they did that for a very good reason. It was because the listener's attention span was short and they needed to get their attention and keep their attention so they would buy their product.

Well, actually it was to sell more advertising time for radio stations. They wouldn't play songs longer that 2.5 to 3 minutes as a rule because it cut into ad revenues. But you make a good point. If something is going to be longer that 3 minutes it had better be very interesting and very well done.

• Members

Well, actually it was to sell more advertising time for radio stations. They wouldn't play songs longer that 2.5 to 3 minutes as a rule because it cut into ad revenues. But you make a good point. If something is going to be longer that 3 minutes it had better be very interesting and very well done.

Yeh I forgot about the advertising revenue aspect.

But listeners do get bored if nothing is happening.

Archived