iPad 2 Stand Holder???

HarpNinjaMike

• Members

I went to check out another local last night and noticed that he didn't use charts but he spent a lot of time looking at his chord hand.

I guess we all do it to some extent. So.....I've been practicing today with my pad to my lower left. Although I'm naturally a lefty, I switched from left to right about a year in. (my politics took the same turn 30 years later ;) ) but I normally make adjustments to equipment with my right hand while I'm holding my guitar. It's still a bit clumsy but until someone comes up with a pair of rose colored glasses that flash lyrics unnoticed to the audience, I'm liking it

• Members

I put the iPad in the front sleeve of my guitar's gig bag when traveling and it's pretty safe. All my stands, drink holder, cables, effects, and this:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/km-ipad-holder-with-prismatic-clamp?src=3WWRWXGB

fits in one piece of carry on luggage with wheels. I use one of those short bass drum mic stands with a boom and attach the K&M to the vertical mic stand. If I play a gig where I have to stand I use an 8" gooseneck extension which adds more instability to the stand, iPad holder and drink holder. When everything's right it won't tip over. My microphone a Sennheiser MD441 and it's not light. When using the gooseneck extension the boom cannot be cantilevered as much as without it.

I wish I could find a light microphone with the same quality as the Sennheiser, that would solve a lot of the set up and tipping concerns.

• Members

Did you think having the arm holding the IP to the side would cause it tip?

Sorry...I wasn't clear. I have the IKlip that just mounts below the boom portion of the stand. I'd be interested to hear if the "arm" would cause it to tip too though.

• Members

Just wanted to let you all know that I was browsing the Instructables website today and saw where a guy made an iPad holder from PVC tubing. He made it to use in his tent while camping, but I'm pretty sure it would be easy to adapt his design to fit onto a mic stand.

In fact, as soon as I get paid for my gig on Friday night, I'm going to bike on over to Home Depot and pick up some PVC fittings and see what I can come up with.

If I can devise anything workable, I'll post a pic.

• Members

I use a QuikLok mini Music stand that attaches to the mic stand.

QuikLok MS303

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/285079-REG/QuikLok_MS_303_MS303_Clamp_on_Sheet_Music.html

It is $18 at B&H photo and you can tilt it upward easily to be eating the mic and look down at the iPad.

Oh yeah, any case will work . . . .

cheap, works, and works well. Only bad part is it dosen't fold down to a smaller form for carry, but guess what NONE of the other alternatives do that either.

• Members

LOL... So I mentioned that I went back to a separate stand for the IPad. I went to a gig this afternoon and broke that stand so I mounted the IKlip under the boom again. It didn't seem to bother me that much.

• Members

I got the iklip and a 16 inch boom to place it in line of sight while watching myself change chords.

It does make the stand unsteady but when I weighted it down

I suited up just to find that the scroll function in Ultimate Guitar Tabs crashed and once you hit play, it automatically goes to end of song.

My first gig in months is tomorrow at a private party and 3 local club owners will be there.

I need to pull this off

• Members

Then that takes us right back to the music stand debate...
;)

I guess I missed it, what is that debate? Keep in mind this is an add on to your mic stand not a separate tripod.

It's cheap, and I can view while eating the mic, and I can use a case on my iPad (very important to me)

• Members

I guess I missed it, what is that debate? Keep in mind this is an add on to your mic stand not a separate tripod.

It's cheap, and I can view while eating the mic, and I can use a case on my iPad (very important to me)

Im just goofing with you Kevin. Anything that resembles a music stand brings out the worst in some people around here.

• Members

Gigged with the iPad for first time last night.

3 hours and I barely touched it. It did come in handy as a list. I had it waste high on a separate stand in landscape mode. Nobody seemed to mind and we didn't need to call an ambulance for anyone.

Debrief...........I need to use a mix of about 50/50 tracks. Some songs are better solo and some just need that fullness. Gotta get busy.

I'm going to try to get away with conga/bongos for drums and acoustic bass because if anyone ever joins me on stage, that's what they'll play.

I'm not looking to do 3-4 hours a night. I'm looking to host an open mike/karaoke/dj combo show and do a weekly round table acoustic jam.

I'm also going to offer on the spot recording for participants. Nothing fancy, just an ambient souvenir of their experience. 5 bucks a song or 3 for 10 :D:

Conclusion......if people like your music, they don't give a {censored} what's in front of you. Unless you're a dick, they want you to succeed and appreciate a heartfelt effort way more than slickness.

As soloist and duos, we can help them re-live those times in their lives when some of us were in charge of getting enough wood for a bonfire and some of us were using our fake IDs for beer.

PS when I tried to open it up for requests.........they said no, you just play what you want to play. That felt damn good. :p:

• Members

hey john... with the right percussionist, a djembe can be more than enough drums to get people dancing... i prefer it to congas and bongos... takes up less space, easier to mic if need be, and can sound pretty much like an entire trap set...

• Members

hey john... with the right percussionist, a djembe can be more than enough drums to get people dancing... i prefer it to congas and bongos... takes up less space, easier to mic if need be, and can sound pretty much like an entire trap set...

I love a djembe. Thing is, I have the bongo, conga, tambourine cowbell set up.

I'm not going to have time to even use those for the tracks. I have midi's for a lot of the songs and I'll just do a universal remap of a drum kit and assign an acoustic bass.

Not idea but with a bit of humanizing and effects, it shouldn't sound too hokey. The rest, I'll just throw together enough loops to "giterdun"

Between garageband, reaper and cubase, I should be able to compete with the locals singing directly over Karaoke tracks. lol

• Members

Not on the top of the boomstand...on the straight part below the boom...the iKlip seems to be a good pick, but Mike's suggestion would let me keep it in a case. Thanks!

3 members of my band have the iKlip including me and it flat out sucks. The bottom fingers arn't long enough to keep it secure and it can slid right through - we're all using rubber bands and tabe to keep them from falling out. Also, one of the side fingers covers and presses on one of the ipad side buttons as well, CRAP design IMHO. We have both ipad 2's and 3's using the adaptor clips.

Archived