Need Harmony Help

gc24

• Members

Are you saying you can't hear and pick up the harmonies by ear? Southern Cross is a pretty straight forward song. Most songs are a bit more complex than singing major chords. I say keep listening and try singing each of the individual parts so you can hear them. Maybe one of the keyboard people here can do you a cheat sheet for you but nothing beats learning how to listen.

Great song, by the way. Always well received by our audience.

• Members

Are you saying you can't hear and pick up the harmonies by ear?

I don't think it's all that uncommon. I'm not great at picking out harmony. I could certainly stand to have some ear training. I've even heard of pro singers who do some kind of duet and said it was the first time they've ever sang a harmony part.

I heard Jon Bon Jovi say once that it's called Lead Singer's Disease, stating that "it's hard to hear the harmony when it's all about you." I can sympathize. :p

• Members

I don't think it's all that uncommon. I'm not great at picking out harmony. I could certainly stand to have some ear training. I've even heard of pro singers who do some kind of duet and said it was the first time they've ever sang a harmony part.

I heard Jon Bon Jovi say once that it's called Lead Singer's Disease, stating that "it's hard to hear the harmony when it's all about you." I can sympathize.
:p

I can certainly sympathize. I was the same way. I pretty much taught myself how to listen by singing harmonies along with every song that came on the radio, whether the song had harmonies or not. I was just trying to help the OP by showing it isn't always as easy as a third or fifth harmony. There are inversions and augmented and diminished and a whole bunch of other things going on where a simple "all harmonies are a 3rd up" really doesn't always help. I keep recalling the scene in Spinal Tap where they try to harmonize "Heartbreak Hotel" at Elvis' grave...

• Members

If I knew what the harmonies were, I wouldn't be asking. Just trying to confirm that it's a 3rd and 5th up

That's my point. They aren't just a third or a fifth up. You can't use a harmonizer set at a specific interval and expect good results. That is where the ears come in. Some harmonies are a third, some are a 4th some are a 5th some are a sixth, etc... If you want one specific word I can tell you. Music theory is a bit more difficult to tie down. Just like not all chords are major chords not all up a third. Your question can't be answered correctly without speaking about specific intervals on specific words.

So to answer your question, no the harmonies are not a third and a fifth above the lead. Same way a guitarist wouldn't (or shouldn't) just play a C Major chord in place of a C Major13#11.

• Members

4th down might work a little too. The harmonies are too complicated to use a machine like that. If you are playing it right, there are also minor chords which will clash with the 3rds harmony. 5th up or 4th down would be safer but it won't sound right, either way.

Probably a good song for a backing track with the harmonies on there. That way you can get all the voices needed for the chorus.

• Members

Funny I don't remember that song, but there could be reasons for that!

Anyway the fifth is pretty constant but both the fifth and particularly the third could give you problems because the melody is not "diatonic". For instance in the Chorus, the fifth "melody" starts on the maj 7 of the G chord (F#) which is in the A major scale, but once the G chord comes along again, the fifth melody turns into a sixth (of the melody B note) and lands on a G natural note. And the third will also be jumping all over the place because of the G natural chord - which is not in the A major scale. So that's what is probably messing up your harmonizer. That pesky non diatonic G chord, with it's attending harmonies. But that's also what makes the song IMHO.

• Members

Funny I don't remember that song, but there could be reasons for that!

Anyway the fifth is pretty constant but both the fifth and particularly the third could give you problems because the melody is not "diatonic". For instance in the Chorus, the fifth "melody" starts on the maj 7 of the G chord (F#) which
is
in the A major scale, but once the G chord comes along again, the fifth melody turns into a sixth (of the melody B note) and lands on a G natural note. And the third will also be jumping all over the place because of the G natural chord - which is not in the A major scale. So that's what is probably messing up your harmonizer. That pesky non diatonic G chord, with it's attending harmonies. But that's also what makes the song IMHO.

^^^ What he said ^^^

The harmonies and semi-counter medley in the chorus make the song. A harmonizer just won't work for that.

• Members

this type of song is why i love to use my midi harmony in my rig. i can play the axact notes of each harmony part and store it away like an extra instrument in the song. no matter how complicated the harmony, i can figure it out and program it. then on stage, i just sing my part and the harmonizer knows axactly what to do and when to come in.

if you are using a harmonizer that works off your guitar chords, you are limited with just standard harmonies (3rd above, 5th above/below).

• Members

I dunno GC...I do tunes all the time where I use my harmonizer in support of the song even if the original has the harmony there all the time. I can think of quite a few tunes where I kill the harmonizer and it makes no difference to the listener. You may want to consider reworking Southern Cross just a bit to fit to your gear. :)

• Members

I dunno GC...I do tunes all the time where I use my harmonizer in support of the song even if the original has the harmony there all the time. I can think of quite a few tunes where I kill the harmonizer and it makes no difference to the listener. You may want to consider reworking Southern Cross just a bit to fit to your gear.
:)

This^^^. Make the song your own. That doesn't mean radical revision (though it could); rather, just find a workable harmony and then put a lot of soul into the performance. Unless Stephen Stills is in the audience, no one will notice. You're worried about something that is, IMHO, not that important.

I've found that the best way to develop an ear for harmony is to scat-sing (think of jazz singers) over songs. Nice and easy, no pressure, no lyrics--just sing around the melodies to get the feel for their harmonic possibilities.

• Members

So, even if the Harmonizer is working off of chord recognition, it still won't work?

Chord recognition won't work because of the reasons Shaster mentioned. Midi or backing tracks would be the only accurate way to do this unless you rework the song as mentioned above.

• Members

i listened to this song real close. if you are singing the middle vocal, it is possible to use a guitar activated harmonizer to do the 3rd about and the 5th below.

if you are singing the lower vocal, then the harmonizer will have to do the lead (middle) and the 3rd above.

its a fairly high vocal song during the chorus. it would be natural to grab the lower vocal part cause its in most everyones range. only thing with singing the lower part is, the harmony will sound a little mickey mousey.

last night, i made a midi backing track of this song (drums, bass, electric piano, and ahh vocal/strings for fill. the song wasnt easy to sequence. took a couple hours to get it tweaked. there are a lot of 1/2 bars mixed in throughout the song. you cant just use 4/4 drum patterns and make it work. this song is right down my alley for making my own backing tracks. i love simple songs that have tough arrangements where nobody attempts a song because they cant figure out how to get the timing right.

i can see this song being performed with just acoustic and vocal. i'm sure it would go over whether you had harmony or not.

Archived