The Spaces Between The Songs

joshmac

• Members

After each song you play, what do you do? Do you wait for people to clap and say "Thank You"? Do you acknowledge them with banter between each and every song? What do you do in the time BETWEEN the tunes?

Ive been doing a lot of duo shows recently and im really starting ti make everything flow. I do two songs back to back and then pause for a few seconds of interaction. Once or twice throughout the set I will have a longer crowd interaction part. I tend to single out tables with witty conversation or tell a funny story. Introducing songs is sometimes cool too. What do YOU do?

• Members

Some gigs I interact like crazy and it's more of a "show" and I get to tell stories and introduce songs and stuff. Many of the other gigs are just too silent between songs even though people are into it. I can crank through 5-10 songs without any break in between. I'm usually trying to figure out the next song a few minutes into the song I'm playing.

• Members

If the audience applauds, I thank them, then launch into my next song. Nothing is weirder to me than an entertainer who thanks the audience when no one has shown their appreciation.

If a song requires some sort of setup (like putting on a prop), I'll talk while I'm preparing, then go right into the song. I try to keep the between song times fairly short (10 to 15 seconds), so I don't lose the flow.

• Members

Maybe 15 seconds max. between songs, unless someone drums up a conversation with me or I'm making fun of someone.

I have taken a few minutes between songs. I like to establish a banter between myself and the crowd. I have little jokes and gags. Sometimes I'll play a number of songs in a row, it depends. If the crowd is feeling conversive I take advantage of it.

• Members

We always pause between songs, but the extent to which we chat or provide historical context (I am a historian, we play a lot of early Blues music, and are often asked to include an educational dynamic) varies with each performance. For some performances, I talk more than I play, for others, I mostly just play music.

• Members

I play two weekly duo shows and Ive found that stopping briefly to even make eye contact and smile between songs works wonders. My philosophy is minimal dead air. If Im not playing music, I am talking. It is a real art to get it so that it doesnt seem like youre rushing.

• Members

I play two weekly duo shows and Ive found that stopping briefly to even make eye contact and smile between songs works wonders. My philosophy is minimal dead air. If Im not playing music, I am talking. It is a real art to get it so that it doesnt seem like youre rushing.

Right on! :thu: I see so many single and duo acts that don't get this. The guy I saw last week had good material for songs but had zero personality between them.

• Members

I'm with you guys about interacting with the audience because that's a good chunk of my show. But if you don't have the type of crowd that's "communicating" that night, there is nothing worse that trying to force the talking, comedy or banter thing. There is also nothing worse than no applause after a song ends. On nights like that when I'm just musical wallpaper, I'll string as many tunes as I can together.

• Members

yeah, unlike Mike McL, MDL plays in costumes, hats, headpieces, odd instruments...I still have yet to go see him (my bad! He came to see our band once), but over the years he has posted some pics...ask him about the cheese guitar
;)

Cool..I'd like to see some of those!

Archived