Overcoming Gig-hunting Addiction

JAD.

• Members

I am (or have been) plagued with the aforementioned addiction. I book 4-5 gigs a month, weekends only, and always keep one weekend a month gig-free. However, lately I find myself scouting out new venues further and further in advance, and at times, further and further from home. Currently, I'm booked out until about March.

I usually have about a 50/50 balance of venues and private functions / festivals, but lately find myself almost unwittingly hunting for venue gigs, out of habit.

Sure, it's a somewhat nice situation to be in, but does anybody else always seem to do this? To want more and more gigs even when you have 'enough' for now?

Luke

• Members

i have a similar problem!
not quite booked to march though. january is notoriously slow round here.

but... i do find it quite a drag always worrying about getting the book filled. you get it sorted for a couple of months and then next thing you know theyre finished and you need to get out and get more again.

am currently looking at talking to some agnets.. i dont care if they take some off the top. at least i can let them do the searching!!

• Members

I haven't looked for gigs in quite a while. It's no wonder I don't have any biggrin.gif

So many gigs turn out to be one night and never go back. Others last for a while then decide to go karaoke or find cheaper solo acts. I'm finding the whole thing disappointing and I could really go on a rant but I won't.

Let me ask, when's the best time to make contact with bar owners? During the day? Do you call first or just show up?

I've had places that I call multiple times and the person in charge is never there. I called and talked to the manager of a place last year, went in with my laptop prepared to show videos of myself and she said she was too busy. I dropped off a CD and she said she was going on vacation, but she would give it to the real person in charge. Oops, I was ranting wasn't I...

I'll have to go on another gig hunting campaign soon, so any tips wouldn't hurt. Somebody suggested I do a free audition, but that seems ridiculous for a 40+ year veteran.

• Members

I know all about this too. I said it in the other thread, but I'm booking Jan-March right now and I can't wait to get them filled. I stress out. I'm pretty fortunate because I have a bunch of places that I normally play to fill at least 8 dates a month and then my four that I get with my weekly. We'll see though because it's been slow in the bars the past 2-3 months.

Archived