lifting trolleys - which ones r u using?

doezer

• Members

hi folks..

ive had it with multiple trips in and out from the car to bring gear in. i mean really HAD it! this sat i played a nice place but the distance from car to setup point was about 50yards.. makes for alot of toing and fro-ing.. !cry.gif

a while ago there was a thread - someone was saying they have their to and fro down to just one trip!! and alot of people were saying they used a certain kind of trolley - i remember linking into it and thinking it was pretty cool - but im damned if i can re-find it!!

can anyone help?? thanks

d

• Members

Maybe you're thinking of something like the Rock N Roller cart http://rocknroller-multicart.myshopify.com/ I know of a few people that use those.

Whatever you get, try to avoid fibreglass. I've posted before about a fibreglass hand truck I bought because I liked the weight. Unfortunately the cart can bend if you've got a heavy load. I almost lost a Yorkville U15 ($1250 CAN) into the water while on a dock. I was going one way and the load was going another. I still wonder if the speaker would have floated or not but luckily I never got to find out - saved it just in time.

• Members

This is what I use. This particular one is a Magliner which is top of the line at almost $500. Mine is a copy at $240 but is a high quality unit. I do not load/unload per se. Everything is strapped to the cart. I have a waterproof cover for it too. I have a ramp in my truck so it is all rolled out as one unit. When done, I load everything on it and roll it back into the truck. None of this loading onto the cart from the truck, unloading at the job, loading back onto the cart and unloading into the truck. Easy peasy nice and easy. I'm getting too old to be muscling gear around.smile.gif

GEMINI_SR-DOWN.jpg

• Members

I use a fiberglass one from Sears. Shaster, it does flex but 99.9% it's just great, I've replaced the front casters twice (the original plastic ones broke). So I guess what I'm saying is I use this but it sounds like it's a piece of crap and now I've hurt my own feelings.

Depending on the gig, I can make it in 2 trips. Wheels and the disability act that has put ramps and elevators everywhere are a musician's friend.

• Members

My cart is from the good people at U-Haul. It fell of the back of a catering truck at a big shindig my old band was playing for about 15 years ago. I cut it in half and welded sleeves and pins in so it would come apart to fit nice in the hearse. That worked for about 10 years until the pins broke. Now I have a chain on it. It's heavy, but it's indestructible. I tried a lighter one, but it fell apart after about a week. Big speakers = big cart!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Telecruiser View Post
TI have a ramp in my truck so it is all rolled out as one unit. When done, I load everything on it and roll it back into the truck. None of this loading onto the cart from the truck, unloading at the job, loading back onto the cart and unloading into the truck. Easy peasy nice and easy. I'm getting too old to be muscling gear around.smile.gif

GEMINI_SR-DOWN.jpg
You suck... in a nice way. I'm jealous!!

• Members

hi there

thanks all...

that rock n roller looks great telecruiser, but !
what do you do if say youre playing in a place that has three steps down at the door into the bar???!
or into the courtyard across from the bar.. do you have to take everything down and carry it across..

i cant see you having a huge load on that and then taking it down the stairs?

d

This is what I use. This particular one is a Magliner which is top of the line at almost $500. Mine is a copy at $240 but is a high quality unit. I do not load/unload per se. Everything is strapped to the cart. I have a waterproof cover for it too. I have a ramp in my truck so it is all rolled out as one unit. When done, I load everything on it and roll it back into the truck. None of this loading onto the cart from the truck, unloading at the job, loading back onto the cart and unloading into the truck. Easy peasy nice and easy. I'm getting too old to be muscling gear around.smile.gif

GEMINI_SR-DOWN.jpg

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by KindredDuo View Post
I use a fiberglass one from Sears. Shaster, it does flex but 99.9% it's just great, I've replaced the front casters twice (the original plastic ones broke). So I guess what I'm saying is I use this but it sounds like it's a piece of crap and now I've hurt my own feelings.

Depending on the gig, I can make it in 2 trips. Wheels and the disability act that has put ramps and elevators everywhere are a musician's friend.
Yes, I still use mine from time to time, but not near any water smile.gif I guess if your gear isn't too heavy fibreglass is okay, but when I'm loading multiple 80 lb speakers, that's when things get dicey.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by doezer View Post
hi there

thanks all...

that rock n roller looks great telecruiser, but !
what do you do if say youre playing in a place that has three steps down at the door into the bar???!
or into the courtyard across from the bar.. do you have to take everything down and carry it across..

i cant see you having a huge load on that and then taking it down the stairs?

d
I have been fortunate not to have run in to that situation yet. If it comes around then I guess I'll have to do some manual labor. smile.gif But, so far this has been the best way to get my gear around.

• Members

I went to purchase the Rock and Roller cart yesterday and found two things that prevented me from purchasing it.

1. It's way too narrow for me
2. It's way over-priced.

On the recommendation of someone here I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a cart that has a collapsible handle...price- $50 or so. it ways about 20 pounds and I just toss it in the back of the truck. Sure it's a little bigger but that's why I bought it. I don't want my gear rolling off the side or something stupid. And if the bar or venue is busy- they can move. Heaven knows nobody moves now when I'm trying to get through carrying {censored} wink.gif

This is everything... Two quick trips.

IMG_0413%20(640x508).jpg

• 5 weeks later...
  • Members

GEMINI_SR-DOWN.jpg
Hey Tele, can you post some pics of your trolley strapped and covered, and also some pics/details of your ramp please. Thanks!

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post
I went to purchase the Rock and Roller cart yesterday and found two things that prevented me from purchasing it.

2. It's way over-priced.

On the recommendation of someone here I went to Harbor Freight and purchased a cart that has a collapsible handle...price- $50 or so. it ways about 20 pounds and I just toss it in the back of the truck. Sure it's a little bigger but that's why I bought it. I don't want my gear rolling off the side or something stupid. And if the bar or venue is busy- they can move. Heaven knows nobody moves now when I'm trying to get through carrying {censored} wink.gif

IMG_0413%20(640x508).jpg
This is, essentially, what I was contemplating building (3/4" plywood w/ a collapsible steel frame w/ straps galore), but I doubt I could build one that cheaply! Heading over to Harbor Freight very soon! smile.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by skybluegary View Post
Hey Tele, can you post some pics of your trolley strapped and covered, and also some pics/details of your ramp please. Thanks!

DSC_0049_zps8f994539.jpg

The ramp is leaning up against the wall. I built it myself. It is 5/8 birch ply with 2 x 2 x 1/4 alum. angle for support as well as rails to keep the wheels on track. The ramp is 71" long. The cover is at home so it didn't make the photo shoot. smile.gif

Also note that I have my JBL's covered with Studioslips clamshell covers (www.studioslips.com). More expensive but superior covers by far.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Potts View Post

2. It's way over-priced.

IMG_0413%20(640x508).jpg
Just bought the same cart, Darrel...it + two 1" X 12' tie-downs + and tax = $52 and change (w/ 10% coupon). Lotta "win"... smile.gif

I'll take a pic of my PA and gear loaded on it later, but I'm pretty sure I can get everything in one trip from my truck when I'm doing solo gigs and two trips from the truck for duo/trio gigs! cool.gif

Thanks for the EXCELLENT suggestion! thumb.gif

• Members

The plywood based carts are fine if you're not navigating difficult walkways or doorsteps. If the going gets a little rough, I find the small wheels don't do me any favours. I owned one for about two weeks and returned it. Wound up getting a four wheel hand truck with larger wheels.

I do know of a couple of drummers that swear by those carts though. I guess it depends on your use and point of view.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Terry Allan Hall View Post
Just bought the same cart, Darrel...it + two 1" X 12' tie-downs + and tax = $52 and change (w/ 10% coupon). Lotta "win"... smile.gif

I'll take a pic of my PA and gear loaded on it later, but I'm pretty sure I can get everything in one trip from my truck when I'm doing solo gigs and two trips from the truck for duo/trio gigs! cool.gif

Thanks for the EXCELLENT suggestion! thumb.gif
Awesome! I changed my loading so everything is flat now. Here's a couple of cool little tips. I think "bolting" a 1/4 inch piece of plywood to the handle part could be a great idea so things don't slide out the back.

The main reason is because it can be used like a dolly sort of. I quickly found out that you can simply step on the back and lift the entire front end up to navigate bumps or even small curbs.

Archived