In Ear Monitors for Solo Acts

Potts

• Members

I used them in my bands but so far haven't needed them in the duo. I think my singing is better when I used them, so I may go back to them.

You are not going to get very good quality for $300. The ear-pieces that I have were $199.00 and they were low end single drivers units. The Shure PSM 200 retails around $600, but you would need to upgrade the ear-pieces.

• Members

Potts wrote:

Does anyone have some reliable information for me? I don't know a thing about how they  work. I have an unpowered board with monitor outs. Can I do this for under $300?

You can go from your monitor out into the unit and everything in that mix will go to your ear mix. You can also get a good quality mic splitter and send one to your mixer and the other directly to the in ear unit.

• Members

msmooth wrote:

Potts wrote:

Does anyone have some reliable information for me? I don't know a thing about how they  work. I have an unpowered board with monitor outs. Can I do this for under $300?

You can go from your monitor out into the unit and everything in that mix will go to your ear mix. You can also get a good quality mic splitter and send one to your mixer and the other directly to the in ear unit.

Thanks for the replies! I wondered that. Can I really just split a signal and send it to a year unit? I guess as long as it's a clean signal there shouldn't be an issue... It couldn't hurt to check out at home.

• Members

Why do you so strongly prefer the Bose out front out of curiosity?

( If you were wondering, Compact plans were put on hold. Sticking with my cheap PA for now which actually sounds remarkably good for what it is.)

• Members

SLScott86 wrote:

Why do you so strongly prefer the Bose out front out of curiosity?

( If you were wondering, Compact plans were put on hold. Sticking with my cheap PA for now which actually sounds remarkably good for what it is.)

Two reasons... Bose was full of **** when the pushed this thing to be stood in front of. I keep it behind me if I have at least 10' (3 meters for out European friends). I simply don't think it's a great idea to stand in front of your sound source-- no matter what degree of disperment there is. The other reason is often times I need to crank the crap out of it and there's less chance for feedback.

My ideal placement is that 10' in front. If not I usually have it to the side and just slightly back so I can use it to monitor.

• Members

Back on topic, they're even simpler than a wedge in a lot of ways. It doesn't take any additional power. If you go wireless, the body pack is all the power you need.

Plug transmitter into monitor out (does the L1 or T1 have this?), set frequency. Plug headphones into body pack, match frequency, adjust volume to taste . You're done.

Personally, I hate them, even though if anyone here needs them for hearing's sake it's me. I couldn't deal with the audience separation. I've also never had them mixed right with a good set of headphones, and house sounds guys aren't giving the local band the soundcheck needed to get it right in that 15 minute set change.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

SLScott86 wrote:

How about the earbuds themselves? I'm a pair of memory foam tips away from being able to replicate that. Did you notice a difference in sound quality and/or proximity effect using the custom molds?

I havr a custom molded set of Westone earpieces and a stock set with foamies as a backup.  I'm a drummer and I can tell you there is a lot more deep bass with the custom molded set.  That said, if you don't particularly need the deepest of bass then there would be no problem.

Not sure what you mean by the "proximity effect" part of your question?

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Potts if you're going for ears, get a dual driver set and run wired to the headphone out of your board. I did that for years and even having one good bud in your ear saves your voice to a degree that is hard to describe. I started singing more effortlessly and much softer. didn't need to belt out the notes and thus saved my voice. I like one ear because I feel like i'm cut off from my audience with both in and for acoustic to hear your monitor in your one ear that's away from your sound source, bled in with what you are hearing from behind you, may very well be perfect for you as well. No reason you need the hassle of wireless, charging and or going through batteries and a body pack etc...f  That man!

Archived