Rack line mixer, MIDI controllable?

SlipKid

• Members

Title pretty much says it all. I'm trying to find myself a decent rack mixer, preferably a single space, and preferably in the $100-200 range, if that's possible. I really don't know much about them, but given the difficulty in managing signal levels of two very different processors, a mixer seems to be a good choice.

Any suggestions?

• Members

What I'd like is a line mixer that separates main volume from effects volume. There are times when I'd like a sound to be totally effect, and not hear any of the source sound. An example: Boss SE-70 allows a bass synth effect. But if I want ONLY the synth effect sound with none of the 'real' sound, I have to plug the bass directly into the effect processor. It defeats the purpose to a degree.

• Members

What I'd like is a line mixer that separates main volume from effects volume. There are times when I'd like a sound to be totally effect, and not hear any of the source sound. An example: Boss SE-70 allows a bass synth effect. But if I want ONLY the synth effect sound with none of the 'real' sound, I have to plug the bass directly into the effect processor. It defeats the purpose to a degree.

Sounds like you need to have a nice long talk with Bob, in the mean time see if you can track down a Rocktron PatchMate....you can thank me later.:thu:

• Members

What is your setup and routing configuration? Sounds like you could use a volume pedal to control the mix (wet/dry) level of your FX either as a CC, controlling your wet/dry mix level parameter.

• Members

Not quite sure what I was thinking when I included the MIDI-controllable reference in the first post. I was tired, and must not have been thinking straight.

I'm thinking about seeing if I can track down an old Korg KMX. Anyone ever used one of these? Is it a better idea to just go with a Rane (or something else a little newer)?

• Members

Not quite sure what I was thinking when I included the MIDI-controllable reference in the first post. I was tired, and must not have been thinking straight.

I'm thinking about seeing if I can track down an old Korg KMX. Anyone ever used one of these? Is it a better idea to just go with a Rane (or something else a little newer)?

Depends on you. IF you want the best quality line mixer for your guitar setup, get a Custom Audio Electronic Line mixer or a Skrydstrup Line mixer, these 2 are least likely to add a color to your signal and are KILLER!!! I have used the Rane SM26 for years and my recent rack has the Custom Audio Electronic (Dual 5 Channel full rack space) Line mixer, which replaced the Rane.

• Members

What you really want is something like the Sound Sculpture Switchblade...............obviously out of your desired price range, but that's the kinda conflict you're gonna run into when you're trying to eat steak on a Top Ramen budget....

• Members

Six instrument inputs. Two basses, a Chapman Stick (two inputs), and two MIDI modules controlled by the Stick.

Each instrument goes into a mix channel on a 12-ch Boss (we tried a Rane, but it was not up to snuff!) line mixer. Each channel has vol, balance, eff 1 & eff 2 controls.

The SE-70 is one effect channel, another Boss half-rack is the other. They return through channels 1 & 12 respectively. Any of the above instruments needs to be able to access either of the effect units - and a non-effected signal is desirable too. This precludes direct connection to the effect. It also precludes the volume pedal config you've suggested.

What is your setup and routing configuration? Sounds like you could use a volume pedal to control the mix (wet/dry) level of your FX either as a CC, controlling your wet/dry mix level parameter.

• Members

Hey slipkid,

I own the Digital Music Corp. System Mix Plus line mixer. It's one of the better ones designed for guitar rack systems. Other I would recommend:

Rocktron Rack Interface

Skyrdstrup Line mixer

Bradshaw line mixer

Soundblade Sculpture

Guitar George

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey slipkid,

I own the Digital Music Corp. System Mix Plus line mixer. It's one of the better ones designed for guitar rack systems. Other I would recommend:

Rocktron Rack Interface

Skyrdstrup Line mixer

Bradshaw line mixer

Soundblade Sculpture

Guitar George

Good recommendations/suggestions

Archived