respectable rack and amp head case manufactuers

• Members

I have looked at ny cases on ebay i am a little skeptical because of the price. I am looking for a case that has a 4-6 space rack compartment and a spot for my amp head that is well padded and maybe even caster. i want something i cn hook everything up in and when i got to the gig my set up time is very minimal i run too many cables and have too many things lying on the floor taped. i need help.

• Members

I'm endorsed by Maxline cases. They make pro-quality ATA cases. Super heavy duty, well constructed stuff. I have a 6 space rack/head case with a drawer that I use on tour. The drawer is big enough for my FCB1010, wah, and strobostomp plus tubes, cables, batteries and such. I made my own "snake" with that spiralwrap stuff from home depot, so all I have to do is pop off the front and back, plug in my cab, take the pedals out of the drawer and plug them into the snake and go.

The problem is that rack/head cases are monsters. I can barely get the thing into my truck on my own, I think it weighs 250-300lbs loaded (The case is 120lbs empty.)

So, unless you have roadies rack/head cases aren't really a smart choice. I relocate everything to a normal SKB rack when I'm at home doing local stuff.

You can get to maxline at www.maxlinecases.com, or email loren@maxlinecases.com and tell them William from LoNero sent you.

-W

• Members

I have looked at ny cases on ebay i am a little skeptical because of the price. I am looking for a case that has a 4-6 space rack compartment and a spot for my amp head that is well padded and maybe even caster. i want something i cn hook everything up in and when i got to the gig my set up time is very minimal i run too many cables and have too many things lying on the floor taped. i need help.

Anvil

Janel

A&S

• 2 months later...
  • Members

The problem is that rack/head cases are monsters. I can barely get the thing into my truck on my own, I think it weighs 250-300lbs loaded (The case is 120lbs empty.)

So, unless you have roadies rack/head cases aren't really a smart choice. I relocate everything to a normal SKB rack when I'm at home doing local stuff.

You can get to maxline at
www.maxlinecases.com
, or email
loren@maxlinecases.com
and tell them William from LoNero sent you.

-W

Just wondering, you mention that when you're at home doing local stuff you use a normal SKB rack. I've been interested in them for awhile because to be honest they are fairly cheap. I've heard some complaints about their reliability. Have you had any trouble with your SKB rack? Also, what model do you own? Thanks.

• Members

Just wondering, you mention that when you're at home doing local stuff you use a normal SKB rack. I've been interested in them for awhile because to be honest they are fairly cheap. I've heard some complaints about their reliability. Have you had any trouble with your SKB rack? Also, what model do you own? Thanks.

If you're just going to use it for home, it'll be just fine. My old bass player had his gear in one and when we would travel, all the band gear went into a trailer, and did get bounced around and his SKB aluminum frames separated from the molded plastic shell, which is what held the lids on, so for traveling I wouldn't recommend them. But, like I said, if it's for your gear in your room, it'll be just fine. :thu:

• Members

Cool, thanks. By the way, do Flagg and Janel actually have websites? I found the websites for Anvil and A&S, but couldn't find websites for Flagg and Janel.

Flagg is no longer, unless you can find them used on Ebay. I think I remember seeing another company making them under a different name now. Guitarslinger would know.

You could check these out though: :thu:

http://shopping.ascase.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=3

• Members

I got the one from Nyc case on ebay and I am not upset. It's not super sturdy on its own accord, like I wouldn't stand on mine, but it holds my randall head and rack all together. Although another local band uses them and the one guy puts his engl cab on top of his. It's kinda bowing inward though. I need to put casters on mine cause it's heavy (and that randall is a beast). I am not flying anywhere so it will do fine.

• Members

The SKB is pretty much a piece of crap. It's light though, so it works. The o-rings have long since been shot so the covers don't stay on very well.

I hear the newer all-plastic things are actually slightly better.

It works for local gigs.

-W

• Members

Interesting. Yeah, I have heard of various reliability issues, but for now this rack would just be for practicing at home at jamming at various persons's houses.

This sounds kinda dumb, but which of these SKBs is actually supposed to be better for protecting rack equipment?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-SKBRLX-RollX-Rack-Case-with-Wheels?sku=544590

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-6Space-Rack-Case?sku=544606

Also, the better quality cases look nice of course, but I have a hard time forking over $389 plus shipping for a non-shockmount 6 space A&S rack or $448 for a shockmount one. Too bad these racks don't appear on ebay more often.

• Members

Interesting. Yeah, I have heard of various reliability issues, but for now this rack would just be for practicing at home at jamming at various persons's houses.

This sounds kinda dumb, but which of these SKBs is actually supposed to be better for protecting rack equipment?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-SKBRLX-RollX-Rack-Case-with-Wheels?sku=544590

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/SKB-6Space-Rack-Case?sku=544606

Also, the better quality cases look nice of course, but I have a hard time forking over $389 plus shipping for a non-shockmount 6 space A&S rack or $448 for a shockmount one. Too bad these racks don't appear on ebay more often.

Here you go: I type in "shock rack" in the ebay search. There are a LOT more. :thu:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ProStageGear-ATA-6-Space-Shock-Rack-Flush-Lid-Case-NEW_W0QQitemZ320115657540QQihZ011QQcategoryZ23789QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ProStageGear-ATA-8-Space-Shock-Rack-Flush-Lid-Case-NEW_W0QQitemZ320115657568QQihZ011QQcategoryZ23789QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/6-SPACE-SHOCK-RACK-CASE-HEAVY-DUTY-ATA-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ220114132382QQihZ012QQcategoryZ23789QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

• Members

Thanks Zachman, but actually I have tried that and the main problem I have is that when I do such a search I often get PAGES of results. Also, I'm kinda wary about buying a no-name rack with a description like: "This shock rack case is brand new and manufactured by a leading case manufacturer in the music industry."

********Hot diggidy dog! On 2nd note. I think you just found me a solution. I was unaware of this maker of cases called ProStageGear. They make reasonably priced cases and they look to be good quality. They are the same maker that makes the acclaimed PedalTrain pedalboards.

The 6-space ATA rated case is $279 and the non-ATA is $175. That's more like it:thu:

I think I'm gonna go ahead with one of these. For that price I might go for the 6 space ATA or 8 space non-ATA. Do you generally leave a space between the power amp and preamp?

• Members

Thanks Zachman, but actually I have tried that and the main problem I have is that when I do such a search I often get PAGES of results. Also, I'm kinda wary about buying a no-name rack with a description like: "This shock rack case is brand new and manufactured by a leading case manufacturer in the music industry."

********Hot diggidy dog! On 2nd note. I think you just found me a solution. I was unaware of this maker of cases called ProStageGear. They make reasonably priced cases and they look to be good quality. They are the same maker that makes the acclaimed PedalTrain pedalboards.

The 6-space ATA rated case is $279 and the non-ATA is $175. That's more like it:thu:

I think I'm gonna go ahead with one of these. For that price I might go for the 6 space ATA or 8 space non-ATA. Do you generally leave a space between the power amp and preamp?

What are you going to have in your rack? Sorry if you've already answered this somewhere else...

Just a couple of things to consider when building a rack NOT REQUIRED, but HIGHLY recommended. Apologies if you already know this stuff, you very well may, but someone else reading this might not, so if you do sorry for the redundancy.

1) a GOOD Power conditioner/Voltage regulator (Not all Voltage Regulators are TRUE Power Conditioners), Is ALWAYS a good idea

2) Electronics Don't like heat, and heat rises, so if you have a tube power amp try to use at least 1 space between the power amp and any other devices. A vented rack spacer is recommended for BOTH the power amp and other devices to not get over heated.

3) Good rack cases tend to be a bit pricey, SO when planning your rack project leaving room for future growth is a good practice. Us gear junkies tend to add, replace gear more often times than not.

4) Use isolation washers (Front and Back), between your rack gear and the rack mounting rails.

• Members

Hey, no problem.

This is what I'm planning for my rack.

-Furman power conditioner (don't know exactly which model I'll get) [1 Space]

-ADA mp-1 with 3 Tube mod [1 Space]

-Peavey Rockmaster [1 Space]

-Either the VHT 2/50/2 or a Mesa 50/50 (still not sure which would sound best with above preamps) [2 Space]

-Lastly, I will probably the use pedals for effects. I don't normally play with many effects. I like a tiny bit of reverb or delay which I can just get out of my pedalboard. Hopefully using the fx loop on my ADA mp-1 or Peavey Rockmaster with my pedals won't result in too much degradation.

-Then this will all go into a metal grill Mesa 4x12 with MC90s

*I'm not familiar with isolation washers. Also, at max I would get an 8 space rack but I think 6 space should be fine.

Edit: Actually, maybe a 8 space would be best since although with the 6 space there would be room for a one space fx unit later like a G major you recommended a vented rack spacer the VHT or Mesa would put out some heat.

• Members

-Lastly, I will probably the use pedals for effects. I don't normally play with many effects. I like a tiny bit of reverb or delay which I can just get out of my pedalboard. Hopefully using the fx loop on my ADA mp-1 or Peavey Rockmaster with my pedals won't result in too much degradation.

-Then this will all go into a metal grill Mesa 4x12 with MC90s

*I'm not familiar with isolation washers. Also, at max I would get an 8 space rack but I think 6 space should be find and there seems to be room for a one space fx unit later like a G major unless you think the VHT or Mesa would put out too much heat.

Have you considered rack mounting your pedals and using a switchable loop for them, so you can control them with midi presets? 2 space pedal tray in your rack. It would eliminate tap dancing when you want to change a few things simultaneously. Just a thought...

FYI, you could also mount the loop/switcher and the midi controller on the pedal board with your pedals.

VHT OR the Mesa would be excellent choices. It just comes down to preference, BUT BOTH of them of EXCELLENT!!! Best of luck you are on the right path to some serious tone and control of your tools.

Something to control it like this:

http://www.axess-electronics.com/

mfc5_lo.png

www.axess-electronics.com

grx4_lo.png

Power conditioner recommendations:

Furman PF Pro R

Furman%20PR%20Pro.jpg

Monster Power PRO 2500 Power Conditioner:

IMG_monster_2500.jpg

• Members

Thanks for the recommendations Zachman. I hate to say this, but since I'm on a pretty limited budget and the power amp either way is gonna cost probably at least $500 I'm going to have to go somewhat cheap.

-I was going to get the Furman PL-8 II Power Conditioner ($159) or Furman PL-Plus II Power Conditioner with Voltmeter ($200).

-I've heard great stuff about the Axess Electronics stuff but for now I think I'm find using the pedalboard I have. I really use very few effects so I'm not worried about having a switcher or midi controller..... for now :D

*I actually just have a Boss DD-5, Boss RV-2, Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah, and an ADA Flanger. That's it. The ADA mp-1 preamp has really sweet chorus.

-By the way, I see you own an MXR flanger. Is it the original with built in power chord? I'm thinking of getting one because the ADA's effect isn't as prominent with distortion on and doesn't seem to be able to replicate the Van Halen Ain't Talking About Love intro sound I like alot.

-Both the VHT and Mesa power amps have great reviews so right now I'm just debating about EL34 vs 6L6s. I've generally been an EL34 person but more and more I'm hearing metalheads recommend 6L6s especially if I get a Triaxis and Quad preamp in the future.

• Members

Thanks for the recommendations Zachman. I hate to say this, but since I'm on a pretty limited budget and the power amp either way is gonna cost probably at least $500 I'm going to have to go somewhat cheap.

-I was going to get the Furman PL-8 II Power Conditioner ($159) or Furman PL-Plus II Power Conditioner with Voltmeter ($200).

-I've heard great stuff about the Axess Electronics stuff but for now I think I'm find using the pedalboard I have. I really use very few effects so I'm not worried about having a switcher or midi controller..... for now
:D
*I actually just have a Boss DD-5, Boss RV-2, Morley Bad Horsie 2 Wah, and an ADA Flanger. That's it. The ADA mp-1 preamp has really sweet chorus.

-By the way, I see you own an MXR flanger. Is it the original with built in power chord? I'm thinking of getting one because the ADA's effect isn't as prominent with distortion on and doesn't seem to be able to replicate the Van Halen Ain't Talking About Love intro sound I like alot.

-Both the VHT and Mesa power amps have great reviews so right now I'm just debating about EL34 vs 6L6s. I've generally been an EL34 person but more and more I'm hearing metalheads recommend 6L6s especially if I get a Triaxis and Quad preamp in the future.

No prob bro, glad to see you're building your dream. :thu: My Flanger is the original grey 117 with the built in power chord, NO LED. I LOVE the thing, the MXR just has a sound all its own, and I like it's voice. FYI, I set it for that VH thing too.

If you're thinking you will be going with a Boogie preamp eventually, you may consider going with the Boogie power amp, as the simul-Class Voice will give you "That" Boogie thing w/ the Quad or Triaxis.

• Members

Only problem with the Mesa Boogie 50/50 is I don't think it's simul-class and the much heralded 2:90 doesn't have a low power switch so it's probably really frickin loud. It is quite annoying how few low power power amp options there are.

On a totally different note, I emailed ProStageGear with a few questions and they wrote back immediately.

-I asked the following: "Do the shock mount rack cases utilize foam? If so, what is the thickness of the foam? Lastly, are the standard and shock mount rack cases made in the USA?"

-And they replied:

Thanks for your message and interest.

All of our shock mount cases use a coil spring suspension system rather

that the case within a case surrounded by foam.

Our products are made in China to our strict standards for hardware and

construction. Honestly, 5 years ago I would have said that cases of

this quality could not be built overseas, and we've spent a lot of time

and money to make sure that we have something that I am willing to

stand behind.

All out products include a lifetime warranty.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,

John Chandler

I'm pretty impressed with this response. Normally, I'm a bit wary of buying a rack like this that's made in China, but given their quick and pleasant response, price, and lifetime warranty, I think I'll go for it.

• Members

Only problem with the Mesa Boogie 50/50 is I don't think it's simul-class and the much heralded 2:90 doesn't have a low power switch so it's probably really frickin loud. It is quite annoying how few low power power amp options there are.

On a totally different note, I emailed ProStageGear with a few questions and they wrote back immediately.

-I asked the following: "Do the shock mount rack cases utilize foam? If so, what is the thickness of the foam? Lastly, are the standard and shock mount rack cases made in the USA?"

-And they replied:

Thanks for your message and interest.

All of our shock mount cases use a coil spring suspension system rather

that the case within a case surrounded by foam.

Our products are made in China to our strict standards for hardware and

construction. Honestly, 5 years ago I would have said that cases of

this quality could not be built overseas, and we've spent a lot of time

and money to make sure that we have something that I am willing to

stand behind.

All out products include a lifetime warranty.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Best regards,

John Chandler

I'm pretty impressed with this response. Normally, I'm a bit wary of buying a rack like this that's made in China, but given their quick and pleasant response, price, and lifetime warranty, I think I'll go for it.

My bad, I was thinking the Simul 2:ninety

If you can find a used one, the Simul395 is a better amp, IMO

Archived