What does one do on stage during instrumental songs?

tiltsta

• Members

Quote:

doesnt even have to be plugged in or can be low in the mix, fans/friends will never know the difference.

I disagree. It's pretty easy to spot a faker, even if you don't play the instrument yourself. Accurately shaking a percussion instrument is better than faking a guitar

I didnt mean fake it completely.. thats why I said learn first, new guitar players usually have problems with strum patterns, buzz and other little do-dads.. Thats why I said play but keep out or low in the mix. I agree fake playing is the worse thing ever, I would never advise someone to get out there without knowing at least the chords and structure of the song.

As far as keeping low or no mix goes, I've read (and seen)to many times of these pop and country "stars" that play their guitar but arent in the mix enough to hear.

It also depends on what setting your in.. If its your music and your playing a 45 minute set along with 3 or 4 other bands playing their sets then sure, get off stage. Its all about your music then...... On the other hand, if your the house band at a club/bar/cruise etc.. Then playing the acoustic down in the mix is going to be what is needed(if the acoustic is the selected path).. Ive been playing live shows for around 13 years and have been playing semi-pro for about 8 years (in both of these settings).. You always have to give the venue what they are looking for and showmanship is it(unless your Godsmack,50cent or Rascal Flatts). They dont care about your music, they only care about how it sounds, looks and is presented to their crowd. Image vs. authenticity is a big thing me and everyother musician on the planet has fought... Its a new battle that is waged at every show, not one thats waged once in your head... that is if you want to play music and have it heard and if we didnt want it heard we wouldnt be having this discussion.

• Members

I have done some theater work also, and the main thing is to not upstage, or take attention away from your bandmates. (Unless that is what you want to do)

So, in my opinion, standing off to the side and keeping your face/eyes on the show is very important. People will naturally watch the singer for a time, and when they look at you, they will naturally follow your focus, and start watching what ever it is you are looking at. This is done in theater all the time. And it sets apart good supporting actors from bad ones. The main emphasis is on the show.

I see this rule being broken all the time. It has been happening on stage for many many years. Always stay in character. Even if you are on the sidelines. The audience is watching. Their periferal vision is picking up all kinds of stuff. When I see the lead singer do anything that is not supportive of his/her bandmates, I immediately think that he/she is thinking they are above it all. (Not good in my opinion.) When I see a show, I want to pretend that the band is close, and that they get along, all this other stuff. Trust me, other people do the same thing. If they see one person acting arrogant, it causes a reaction. Maybe it is something that you would want?

As an example, in theater, there are characters with whom you want the audience to feel emnity for. The evil characters may in fact not face the other players. He/she may ignore, run around and do their own thing, purposfully try to upstage other cast members. And this is kept in the play for the purpose of building on this character.

Many will say, dude, this is not theater! What are you talking about?

And I would say that it is far more similar than you think. ;)

• Members

Though, i also think every member of the band should play SOMETHING, especially if you have an instrumental song [open tuned acoustic, congas, even hopping up and joining the drummer to play a rhythm on the low toms]

I think that if you cant play anything that leaving the stage is a good idea, because if its instrumental, its usually meant to showcase something other than the vocals, which for many of the average music fans, is all they really pay attention to.

hope backstage/side of the stage and relax, if its a club where there is no backstage get a drink at the bar or hang around the side and just kinda jam to the music, bob your head and look excited or something.

but really, playing acoustic in open tuning at low volumes is almost a no brainer and can fit into almost any instrumental.

• Members

Doesnt LeadSingerDisease demand that even if you arent singing you DESERVE every eye on you?

Depends on the vibe of it. Whatever mood the song is, you mimic. Chilled out, grab a seat. High energy, then dance around like your a coked out Robert Plant.

• Members

Go to the bar and get drinks for the band, on your way back check how the mix sounds.

I agree, if you are not taking part in the song...take part in making sure the band sounds good or has everything they need...tune a guitar/bass...get a drink...pump the crowd, etc. You can still be active by participation than standing there like a bump on a log.

Archived