recommend me a good tube power amp or head for...

• Members

Use at home and jamming with friends. So I definitely don't need 100 watters.

Over the years I've gone from transistor practice amps to modelling amps. Now I'm taking the next step. Got my Earcandy cabs (two ported 1x12's) and a small rack going (power, eq, multifx, pre). Now I need a good, relatively inexpensive power amp. Or maybe a head with effects loop?

Music styles are metal ('70's to now), classic rock, and blues rock. I also like a good clean.

Anything decent out there for under $500? What about under $1000?

• Members

so peavey 50/50 vs VHT 2502. I see the price difference. I would definitely FEEL the price difference. Would I hear the difference? Can someone describe the tone difference? Also, looks like the VHT is quick and responsive enough for thrash - is the peavey?

the mesa 20/20 popped up too, but looks like maybe not enough low end and a bit much in the low mids? Or maybe too bright? Too Mesa sounding? Also the mesa 50/50?

• Members

I haven't used the VHT or Mesa, but I have the Peavey Classic 60 (mono) and 50/50 (stereo) power amps, plus a stereo Carvin Tube 100. The Peaveys are available day and night on eBay for very reasonable prices, and the 50/50 is particularly nice because it has the resonance and presence controls that many other power amps lack. I use the Classic 50/50 with my pedalboard, and the Classic 60 in a small rack rig. The Carvin has a flatter EQ response that I like for recording, but the Peaveys have a bit more punch that works great live.

• Members

I like the Peavey amps for under $500. Great price and great workhorses. I didn't like any of the Tubeworks amps, Mosvalve or the tube one.

Since you have two 1x12" cabs, I would go with a stereo amp instead of one amp head. You'll have the option of stereo or wet/dry.

Jun

• Members

hmm, 2 for Peavey so far. Thanks guys. That's good since it is the less painful (cheaper) amp...Wet/dry option sounds good too. Hadn't really thought about that (I'm such a noob)

I'm still interested in somebody's comparison of Peavey 50/50 to VHT 2502

• Members

I use a VHT 2/90/2 and it's perfect for metal IMHO...It uses KT88 tubes though, not sure if you perfer those tubes or not, but they sound good to me. New it's a bit above what you're looking to spend, but you may be able to find a good deal on a used one...

If you just need a cheap fix the Rocktron 100w power amp go for like $250 new...I have no experience with them personally though, so I can't comment on the "metalness" it has.

• Members

hmm, 2 for Peavey so far. Thanks guys. That's good since it is the less painful (cheaper) amp...Wet/dry option sounds good too. Hadn't really thought about that (I'm such a noob)

I'm still interested in somebody's comparison of Peavey 50/50 to VHT 2502

My understanding is that there is no comparison...the VHT wins hands down. However, the massive price differential will probably make your decision for you.

FWIW I use a modded Peavey Classic 120 and I'm very happy with it.

• Members

the nice thing about the 50/50 is the selectable power. run it bridged or both channels in stereo for full blast power, only run one channel for medium power, or if you want 25 watts you can pull two tubes from one channel and use it.

i use a 50/50 for bedroom practice, shows, recording... its been great.

• Members

very helpful replies guys, thanks. So I'm pretty much decided on the VHT 2502. I'll just have to be patient and get it later rather than sooner. Until then I think my Mosvalve will do just fine while I try to find the right preamp

• Members

hjcooper,

I tried the Mosvalve stereo amp. The Peavey offerings are a huge upgrade, esp. the Classic 60/60. The price difference is about $100+ between the Mosvalve and the Peavey classics. Triple the weight though....

mohowski,

I definitely am a fan of 2 x EL84 breakup. I use a Rock Master into a Peavey Bravo power section. Sounds great for the sub $300 price tag combined.

Jun

• Members

thing is I already have a Mosvalve, which is a big improvement over the SS power section of my Flextone II Plus that I was using via the efx return! So it's not actually a question of Mosvalve OR tube amp. Just which tube amp and when.

• Members

I am happy with my mosvalve.

depends on your application. If you desire flexibility in your rig, why would you want alot of breakup? Thats just one more area in the tone chain to worry about IMO.

I tried to eliminate as many variables as i could when i was setting up my current rig.

You need a good preamp and some nice effects and a poweramp. I would not be overly concerned about the power amp until your other issues are resolved.

you already have some nice cabs. get a nice stereo preamp (i have a digitech 2120 and am happy) then more effects if you like, then if youre still not happy then go change the power amp.

I think people are way to hung up on this. a power amp is a power amp. tube break up doesnt happen til your ears are bleeding with some of the poweramps you guys use. As far as the tube tone, maybe my ears just arent developed enough yet.

Archived