played the AXE-FX last night

• Members

It's the first time, with a modeller, it felt like I was actually sitting in the control room with different tube amps cranked, mic'ed and efx processed.

My monitors were Behringer Truths on one side of the room with Mackie SRM450s on the other end turned up fairly loud.

OD sounds cleaned up nicely with the guitar's volume knob and the efx are superb, even though every patch had too much.

The user interface was not intuitive for me but who cares, the sound it what matters.

I want one.

Jun

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

My Ultra was unpacked last night. OOOooooo mmmaaannn I can't wait to plug it into my VHT 2/50/2 this weekend.

I've replaced my stock MP-1 for cleans, my G-Force for effects and my MicroCab II for cab sim. My rack is so much more simple to hook up. Definitely worth the money.

Boogieman, you are officially invited over to jam :thu:

100_0691sm.jpg

I signed up in the beginning of April and it took 4 months before my name was called. Sign up dude!

• Members

My Ultra was unpacked last night. OOOooooo mmmaaannn I can't wait to plug it into my VHT 2/50/2 this weekend.

I've replaced my stock MP-1 for cleans, my G-Force for effects and my MicroCab II for cab sim. My rack is so much more simple to hook up. Definitely worth the money.

Boogieman, you are officially invited over to jam
:thu:

100_0691sm.jpg

:love:

:D

Take some time off and have some fun with it bro! Mine can't get here soon enough. :thu:

• Members

The one tried was not the ultra, what's the difference?

Jun

dude sign up for the Ultra, if you don't like it you will have absolutely NO PROBLEM selling it as it is in very high demand.

Boogie, I'll leave the light on for ya. :wave:

• Members

Sweet, I have a month longer to wait for my ultra.

I've never heard decent modeling clips, and intend to use it as a g-force replacement, however, I figure it'll be a useful studio tool as well.

Now if my FX-1 and switchbladeGL ever get here, I'll be set. I HATE waiting!

-W

• Members

Can someone post some samples of heavy power chord riffing? I mean as heavy as it gets, and please no lead stuff. I just want to hear how the basic high gain sounds are and can't find any good examples.

there are a few on the site...sound pretty heavy to me...

http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/SOLO100.mp3 (gets progressively heavier as the volume knob is cranked)

http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/recto2.mp3

http://www.fractalaudio.com/Documents/JCM800.mp3

• Members

Boogieman, you are officially invited over to jam
:thu:

100_0691sm.jpg

I signed up in the beginning of April and it took 4 months before my name was called. Sign up dude!

:thu: CONGRATS :thu:

• Members

I played the non-ultra AXE-FX again last night but this time with the power section of a Carvin Legacy (EL34) into a Legacy 4x12" V30 cab.

I did switch the power amp and cab sims on and off globally, but the tones out of the box, were not as organic sounding or inspiring as going direct. I tried tweaking the global EQ but didn't get desired results.

In all fairness, with the unlimited processing power, I probably should've spent more time tweaking but I wanted to have fun playing guitar so back to direct.

Playing my buddy's 64 Strat thru the 'cranked tweed' preset, we were both astonished about the rauchy 8" speaker breakup re-creation. 'Top Boost' was another great patch with the strat. Actually close to all of the patches are good to great. Not many out right duds.

My SG with Bill Lawrence pickups and pickup wire upgraded to Evidence Audio sounds incredible. Every preset responds to pickup selection (series/parallel/single) very well.

Jun

• Members

I played the non-ultra AXE-FX again last night but this time with the power section of a Carvin Legacy (EL34) into a Legacy 4x12" V30 cab.

I did switch the power amp and cab sims on and off globally, but the tones out of the box, were not as organic sounding or inspiring as going direct. I tried tweaking the global EQ but didn't get desired results.

In all fairness, with the unlimited processing power, I probably should've spent more time tweaking but I wanted to have fun playing guitar so back to direct.

Playing my buddy's 64 Strat thru the 'cranked tweed' preset, we were both astonished about the rauchy 8" speaker breakup re-creation. 'Top Boost' was another great patch with the strat. Actually close to all of the patches are good to great. Not many out right duds.

My SG with Bill Lawrence pickups and pickup wire upgraded to Evidence Audio sounds incredible. Every preset responds to pickup selection (series/parallel/single) very well.

Jun

Thanks for the review... :thu:

• Members

man, it has a LOT going on. :eek:

I was able to pick up the G-Force layout a lot easier than this.

I got it going with my ADA but I think I'm digging the MicroCab II better for cab sim. I really only played with a couple of presets, playing with the interface and chains (no effects adjustments) so I still don't know what it can do. Way way too much fuzz sound even with the gain turned almost all the way down on my 3TM. This was direct into my Mackie only. From what I played with it sounded great stand alone. But that's not how I want to use it. Use the Axe for effects and cleans and the 3TM for dirty with the Axe for effects.

I used my old setup (3TM, G-Force, ISP, VHT, Avatar cab) for rehearsal Sat to avoid downtime since I have minimal experience with the Axe.

I know it's in there, I just have to figure out how to get it rolling, so right now my findings are inconclusive cuz I haven't had time to dig into the manual and really don't know what the hell I'm doing yet. :lol:

I'm from the old school turn a knob and jam. This thing takes some thought to get it dialed in.

• Members

What's up with the 'edit' button going to the LFO?

The first time around all I could do was change some presets too.

It's a great unit direct.......

With your 3TM setup, I guess you need to turn the preamp sim off but leave the power amp and cab sims on? In theory at least.

For knob tweakers, wouldn't something like this:

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EMU7700

be usefull where each one of those knobs can be set to appropriate parameters?

Jun

• Members

there's a preamp sim?:freak: where is that?

I believe you hit layout and then edit from there? The effects and chain? Is that what you were looking to edit?

I think you can turn off the SAG for the power amp if running an external power amp.

Archived