The signal routing of your rig: Post it

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

OT question but pertaining to the grounding...what if you are getting a hum from all your stuff into one power bar? My wah seems to contribute noise (power comes from daisy of NS-2, yes I know these are troublesome) but what would I lift the ground on to get rid of the hum while running the wah on the daisy chain and not worrying about batteries?

• Members

OT question but pertaining to the grounding...what if you are getting a hum from all your stuff into one power bar? My wah seems to contribute noise (power comes from daisy of NS-2, yes I know these are troublesome) but what would I lift the ground on to get rid of the hum while running the wah on the daisy chain and not worrying about batteries?

I've heard of inexpensive kits that allow you to switch which pin the ground pin is connected to on your barrel connector that feeds the power to your pedal. Perhaps that is your issue.

There are power supplies that have ground lifts built into them to deal with that exact issue. A more expensive route

Sorry I don't have a link for you, perhaps someone here will know.

• Members
Err, computer illiterate question, how are you guys making your diagrams?

Some crappy drawing program I downloaded from the Internet. It ain't too bad, beats Microsoft Paint, but doesn't hold a candle to Macromedia Fireworks & Flash which I used to use but no longer have :(

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Welk, no diagram yet (and I'm still waiting for parts to arrive in the mail - rack in progress), but mine will be:

12 Space Shock Mount Rack

Furman PL-Plus Power Conditioner

X2 XDR95 (rackmount) Wireless
|
|
GCX Audio Switcher
|
|
Dunlop DCR-1SR Rack Wah (in first GCX loop - second controller for large stages)
|
|
(2) Maxon OD808, BOSS NS-2, BOSS TU-2, Dunlop Brick (loops 2-5 on rack shelf)
|
|
TC Electronics G-Major (in GCX loop)
|
|
Mesa Triaxis (won't have at first, but will be ran in GCX loop)
|
|
Mesa Dual Recto Rackmount

On the floor I'll have a Ground Control Pro, Dunlop wah controller, and an Ernie Ball expression pedal mounted on a pedalboard. The Triaxis will be routed into the Recto for power, and the Recto will be used for it's own heavy tones also.

• 3 months later...
  • Members

Finally an update of my rig diagram!

2hgz41g.jpg

It looks a bit complicated. I tried to reduce the clutter by not including the power supply routing, and the volume & expression pedals.

The Roland Jazz Chorus 120 combo amp has my Visual Sound H2O Liquid Chorus & Echo pedal in its effects loop, for more rich & lush chorusing, plus the echo effect.

The Engl Fireball has the G-System in its effects loop.

The Mesa/Boogie MarkIV has an Alto Q 5-band parametric equaliser & an SR&D Rockman Stereo Chorus/Delay unit in its effects loop. In the future this can operate in full stereo with addition of another poweramp & speaker cab.

Here is a list of what the loops are for.

G-System Loops

#1: TC Electronic Stereo Chorus/Flanger, Boss DD-20 delay that sends A signal back to G-System & B signal to & GCX Switcher input. TC SCF is remotely switched by G-System.

#2: Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ pedal. Acts as a "level attenuator" for light overdrive tones when used with high gain channel on Fireball.

#3: "Clean tone"- Electro Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress. Flanged signal back to G-System & Direct signal to Roland Jazz Chorus 120 combo amp.

#4: Electro Harmonix Polyphonic Octave Generator.

Insert: to Engl Fireball input. Amp channels are switched by G-System.

Stereo returns of G-System are combined via Y-cable & back to Fireball.

GCX Switcher

#1: send to Mesa/Boogie MarkIV input

#2: MarkIV in-built EQ

#3: MarkIV effects loop

#4: MarkIV Class A/Simul-Class

#5: to Orange Tiny Terror (for Leslie)

#6: MarkIV Lead channel

#7: MarkIV Rhythm 2 channel

#8: MarkIV Rhythm 1 channel

• Members

I'm following these diagrams pretty well which means I should probably take a break from HC and get some Vivid Video and a Hustler......
ok.....
so......

Variax / Les Paul/ Jackson Dinky/Taylor414 to

GCX1........
1 dynacomp
2 mxr micro amp / xotic RC
3 sparkeldrive
4 soldano GTO
5 fulltone OCD
6 xotic BB+
7 rocktron zombie
8 mm4 (vibro, leslie, phaser, tri-chorus)
GCX2.........
9 ibanez AD-9
10 boss V-wah
11 podx3Live

TO
mesa boogie V-Twin rack pre Ernie Ball JR VP>>>G-Major

12 V-Twin out(L)....>>>Peavey classic 60/60 ....>>> Marshall 2x12
13 V-Twin out®....>>>Peavey classic 60/60 ....>>> Marshall 2x12

14 to V-Twin fx loop on/off (Vol/G-Major)
15 to V-Twin clean3
16 to V-Twin solo2

~korg exp2 to G-Major via GC (octaver/boost/eq)
~korg exp2 to G-Major via GC (grease/boost/eq)

rocktron ground control pro
anvil 10 space shockmount
pedalsnake
pedaltrain
livewire IEM
voodoolab pedalpower2
furman pluglock
george L-s
webstrings
gorgamyte

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

more updates!

This incorporates two pieces of rack gear I just got- a Niche Audio Control Module, and the Switchblade8.

I still need to get the TC Electronic G-Major, a MIDI floorboard controller, and the Crate Powerblock to power my (yet to be built) Leslie.

23jfuk4.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • Members
That looks a lot cleaner and more straightforward. You're not using the Niche Audio thingy now then?

Must get round to compositing one of these for my rig at some point, but it's currently in a bit of a state of flux.

I still have the Niche, but not sure what to do with it.

And I just changed my signal routing again through the night :facepalm:

I decided to run a separate Output from the Switchblade to go to the Jazz Chorus, rather than just straight from a pedal, so I can mute it's input with the Switchblade, thus making it MIDI-programmable. I'll post the newly updated diagram.

• Members

wow
I forgot about this post
I've since made some minor changes to my rack :

2008RigSchematic.jpg

-4-1.jpg

and started putting together an honest to God pedalboard for direct and amp combo applications.....should be assembling it this next week

flyrig18.jpg

I'm following these diagrams pretty well which means I should probably take a break from HC and get some Vivid Video and a Hustler......

ok.....

so......

Variax / Les Paul/ Jackson Dinky/Taylor414 to

GCX1........

1 dynacomp

2 mxr micro amp / xotic RC

3 sparkeldrive

4 soldano GTO

5 fulltone OCD

6 xotic BB+

7 rocktron zombie

8 mm4 (vibro, leslie, phaser, tri-chorus)

GCX2.........

9 ibanez AD-9

10 boss V-wah

11 podx3Live

TO

mesa boogie V-Twin rack pre
Ernie Ball JR VP>>>G-Major

12 V-Twin out(L)....>>>Peavey classic 60/60 ....>>> Marshall 2x12

13 V-Twin out(R)....>>>Peavey classic 60/60 ....>>> Marshall 2x12

14 to V-Twin fx loop on/off (Vol/G-Major)

15 to V-Twin clean3

16 to V-Twin solo2

~korg exp2 to G-Major via GC (octaver/boost/eq)

~korg exp2 to G-Major via GC (grease/boost/eq)

rocktron ground control pro

anvil 10 space shockmount

pedalsnake

pedaltrain

livewire IEM

voodoolab pedalpower2

furman pluglock

george L-s

webstrings

gorgamyte

• Members

I found some mistakes in my design, so need to fix the diagram.

Basically it was a redundancy- I was muting the JC-120's input with both the Switchblade & the GCX! :facepalm:

I've decided to use an output from the Switchblade to send the signal directly to the JC-120, to mute its input. These frees up a loop on the GCX, as well as an input on the Switchblade.

So now I am thinking of what other pedal to get for the Switchblade input, and what to use the spare GCX loop for.

• Members
You don't
have
to fill every single loop mate
;)
Yeah right, like I'm not looking forward to receiving my RJM Effect Gizmo so I've got 12 more loops to play with
:)

I guess so. It's just that I like to utilise as much of a device as possible. I feel bad that I might not end up using the Guitar Input & Output & Feed Thru of the GCX.

I suppose I could use that loop for the parametric EQ, as an alternative EQ for the MarkIV, rather than use the parametric EQ with the Fireball.

I'm thinking of getting an Electro Harmonix HOG for the final input on the Switchblade. But I am a little unsure about it. I feel like I have enough effects already. I've got all the modulation I want. I don't really like fuzz. Don't really need an overdrive or distortion box (the Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ does all the boosting/OD I want from a pedal). When I get the G-Major, it will have heaps of effects itself.

I suppose I could get a compressor? But again it's not something I normally use...

I'll keep thinking about it. I'm open to suggestions though.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived