The Principle behing the elusive Tri-Stereo Chorus?

• Members

Don't know exactly how they work. But I do know that Fulltone scrapped a project they had to reissue them because the design was mega complicated and expensive. So I doubt it's as easy as 3 choruses strung together.

• Members

It features controls of the chorus for the right, left and center, w/ a depth and rate control.

Do you or anyone else know when the Tri Stereo Chorus was released? And when it was ceased?

And which 'model' came first? The Songbird, Dytronics, or Dyno-My-Piano? And what year were they each released?

And what is the actual name of the company that invented it?

• Members

Do you or anyone else know when the Tri Stereo Chorus was released? And when it was ceased?

And which 'model' came first? The Songbird, Dytronics, or Dyno-My-Piano? And what year were they each released?

And what is the actual name of the company that invented it?

:idk:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I found some info!

Apparently the Tri-Stereo Chorus was made for electric pianos, such as the Fender Rhodes. The way acoustic pianos are setup is basically to produce a "non-cyclical" chorus detuned effect, where the hammer strikes a pair or triplet of strings that are slightly out of pitch. The sound is so intrinsic to piano that it's hard to distinguish as a chorus effect itself. Although I've noticed there are some piano keys (eg. a low D) that have a distinctive chorus-y rich ring to them.

So I guess that Chuck made a dedicated chorus unit for electric pianos, to get that richness. And more :love:

Info from the man himself!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.chuckmonte.com/products_dyno.htm

image145b.jpg

Dyno My Piano

• Members

I found some info!

Apparently the Tri-Stereo Chorus was made for electric pianos, such as the Fender Rhodes. The way acoustic pianos are setup is basically to produce a "non-cyclical" chorus detuned effect, where the hammer strikes a pair or triplet of strings that are slightly out of pitch. The sound is so intrinsic to piano that it's hard to distinguish as a chorus effect itself. Although I've noticed there are some piano keys (eg. a low D) that have a distinctive chorus-y rich ring to them.

So I guess that Chuck made a dedicated chorus unit for electric pianos, to get that richness. And more :love:

Info from the man himself!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.chuckmonte.com/products_dyno.htm

image145b.jpg

Dyno My Piano

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Great info!

Sounds like you could duplicate this pretty easily with todays "detune chorus" effects. That effect lets you add 2 notes to the root and adjust their tuning up and down by a few percent, thus getting the "3 notes, slightly out of tune" like a piano.

With more powerful FX, like Eventide H8000 and such, you can assign the effect to particular notes. That way you wouldn't be chorusing the low notes (like a real piano).

-W

• Members

Great info!

Sounds like you could duplicate this pretty easily with todays "detune chorus" effects. That effect lets you add 2 notes to the root and adjust their tuning up and down by a few percent, thus getting the "3 notes, slightly out of tune" like a piano.

With more powerful FX, like Eventide H8000 and such, you can assign the effect to particular notes. That way you wouldn't be chorusing the low notes (like a real piano).

-W

The H8000 actually has a couple of models of the Tri-Stereo Chorus as a factory presets. It also allows you to assign each chorus to different places in the stereo spectrum.

1017 DynoMyPiano_Ambience enhance the spatial perception of each chorus line and engage feedback for flanging.

1018 DynoMyPiano_VintDlys

{DME}[GK](TT) Songbird/DyTronics Dyno My Piano Tri Stereo Chorus 1380 S replica in parallel or series to Vintage Delays. Ins1+2

> TriStChorus >Outs 1 &2 Sum I/Stereo O. Ins3&4 or Chorus out >VintDlys>Outs3&4 Stereo I/O. Very popular chorus

unit in early 80s. The 3 L/C/R LFO faders control progressive waveshaping of the modulation. : here are

controls for the original knobs pullouts that enhance the spatial perception of each chorus line and engage feedback for

flanging.

• Members

You know, I always wondered why the piano in general, as well as particular notes, sounded quite "chorusey". I remember feeling amazed while just slamming a low D note on an old piano in the spooky back practice rooms of the Conservatorium of Music.

They have this richness to it, this 'waveyness'.

I reckon that's what attracted me to chorus effects in the first place.

And also the bass line in Tool's Forty-Six and Two. I know it has delays on it, but I'm certain it's also chorused.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey... I replied in another thread regarding your Tri Stereo Chorus questions... But I believe the Dyno-My Piano Tri Stereo Chorus 618 was the first model... The Dytronics CS5 is a newer design and it also features push/pull knobs on the ratepots. The Songbird model is similar to the DMP TSC 618 but I believe they made it for the japanese market.

The idea behind the Tri Stereo Chorus started out as a mod DMP did on Rhodespianos in their earlier days... If someone wanted an onboard chorus paired with the DMP Pro Piano preamp, they usually mounted the board of a Boss CE-2 chorus in the namerail. A bit later DMP designed their Dual Chorus which was basically two CE-2 style units wired together but worked in stereo where the signal was routed left/right. Then, the last step of this mod was to take 1/3 of the 73 (or 88) pick-ups in a Rhodes piano and route them into one chorus unit, then then 1/3 of the pickup to the other chorus unit and then they left the last 1/3 of the pick-ups unprocessed thusly creating a "Tri Stereo Chorus" effect. This idea was later made even better in the DMP Tri Stereo Chorus 618 with three choruspaths with individual intensity.

I've owned two of the DMP 618s in my time and they sound killer! They're also used by top studio guitarplayers like Michael Landau even today... I've tried (and own) the TC-Electronics TC1210 and also the Roland Dimension D (which I also have) and eventhough they all sound awesome in their own way, the DMP TSC is the thickest, most liquid chorus of them all... Sadly, they're real hard to come by and if you find one, they're pricey but in my opinion worth every cent...

• Members

Hey... I replied in another thread regarding your Tri Stereo Chorus questions... But I believe the Dyno-My Piano Tri Stereo Chorus 618 was the first model... The Dytronics CS5 is a newer design and it also features push/pull knobs on the ratepots. The Songbird model is similar to the DMP TSC 618 but I believe they made it for the japanese market.

The idea behind the Tri Stereo Chorus started out as a mod DMP did on Rhodespianos in their earlier days... If someone wanted an onboard chorus paired with the DMP Pro Piano preamp, they usually mounted the board of a Boss CE-2 chorus in the namerail. A bit later DMP designed their Dual Chorus which was basically two CE-2 style units wired together but worked in stereo where the signal was routed left/right. Then, the last step of this mod was to take 1/3 of the 73 (or 88) pick-ups in a Rhodes piano and route them into one chorus unit, then then 1/3 of the pickup to the other chorus unit and then they left the last 1/3 of the pick-ups unprocessed thusly creating a "Tri Stereo Chorus" effect. This idea was later made even better in the DMP Tri Stereo Chorus 618 with three choruspaths with individual intensity.

I've owned two of the DMP 618s in my time and they sound killer! They're also used by top studio guitarplayers like Michael Landau even today... I've tried (and own) the TC-Electronics TC1210 and also the Roland Dimension D (which I also have) and eventhough they all sound awesome in their own way, the DMP TSC is the thickest, most liquid chorus of them all... Sadly, they're real hard to come by and if you find one, they're pricey but in my opinion worth every cent...

Wow! That stuff you wrote there is GOLD! :love: Thanks! :thu:

Thanks too for replying to my other thread. I'm gonna sink my teeth into it now and reply to it over the next few days. Thanks again! :)

• 4 months later...
  • Members

Has anyone tried to replicate a tri-stereo chorus by arranging chorus pedals together?

I guess you could do it by running one mono chorus pedal into a stereo chorus pedal that sends a chorused & dry signal to BOTH sides.

This is why I am getting into this craziness....

I remember reading some literature on the Dyno-My-Piano Tri-Stereo Chorus (can't find it, blast :( ) where it started from two Boss CE-2 units wired together, one for each channel (left, right).

The Dyno-My-Piano was made for keyboards (notably the Fender Rhodes), that has these metal string things called 'tines', that get hit by the keys to electrically produce the notes. I think there are three tines per key, Left for left channel, Right for right channel, and a "centre" channel. The Left tines are all routed to the left channel, Right tines for the right channel, and the Centre tines down the middle, I guess split half for each side.

There is one rate control, and each channel (left, centre, right) has its own intensity control, or the width I think.

I'm not sure if there's some weird phase things going on, such as flipping the phase 90 degrees on one side, and -90 degrees on the other side, or doing a 180 degree phase flip for one side, or different waveforms (e.g. logarithmic, triangle, sine, saw etc.).

I'll say more soon.

Anyway, has anyone done a pedal setup where they have a chorus on one side, a chorus on the other, as well as a chorus down the middle?

Archived