Sonic Maximizer ... Good or Bad?

cmw

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members
Exactly. So inform anyone who asks who uses/used them and back off, they are fully capable of deciding for themselves...
:)

I agree that there is no substitue for experience, but I also am appreciative to those in my past who I respect, that have helped me to avoid spending $$$ needlessly.

IF you, or anyone else want to use/or 'need' a BBE in your guitar rig, as I said before-- go for it, as for myself-- I prefer other solutions.

The OP's thread was asking for thoughts on the matter re: BBE's and their usefulness, and I am happy to share MY thoughts--

As far as you telling me to "back off", I think I've established my right to speak in this forum, way back in 2001- so download.gif

• Members

IF you, or anyone else want to use/or 'need' a BBE in your guitar rig, as I said before-- go for it, as for myself-- I prefer other solutions.

OK well I don't. As you've read... And the thread isn't "Zackman's Preferred Solutions?" So.

You are comparing apples to iguanas -- much of the gear in use by the big acts today wasn't even on the market when those folks had BBEs in their rigs. It's specious to present it as a case of "they learned to dislike BBE" -- at the time it was a sound they loved. Then better options became available. :)

• Members
If there was ever an effect that I have a love/hate relation ship with, it's my BBE Sonic Maximizer. Sometimes can't decide if it's the next best thing since sliced bread, or a destroyer of tone.

It can really spice up your signal sometimes, other times it sounds overly harsh and brittle.

Any thoughts?

So I am presenting my thoughts, which you apparently disagree with. That's ok with me because I don't have to use your rig... I use mine, which don't need BBE's, because I know how to use my gear and select it to do what I want it to. :p

• Members

Much of the gear in use today in rack rigs are the sought after stuff of yesteryear like TC Electronic 2290 (Which I started using using in 1987) Lexicon PCM42, PCM70's, Eventides, Tri Stereo Chorus etc...

Nothing said there mitigates in any way the fact that much of the gear in use today by top acts wasn't on the market back when people like Batten and Satch had BBEs in their rigs. BBEs for many of those endorsees were the best of the available options and rendered a sound they found valuable.

BTW, I never presented a case suggesting they learned to dislike the BBE's

Baloney. :)

• Members

I'm still struggling with a couple of points in this ridiculous argument. Firstly, lots of people get paid to endorse gear so it can sit in their rigs... doesn't even mean it's used, and BBE make other products than Sonic Maximisers. BBE stop writing the cheques, people stop using the gear... and yet they don't seem to get taken off the endorsers list on the website? Maybe Satch (for example), who is a great player in spite of his guitar sound sometimes, has one which he uses in the studio for something other than guitar?

Secondly the idea that just because a guitarist is more famous makes them a superior player. To recoin a phrase, baloney! From what I've heard of him, Zachman's an amazing player.

Thirdly, just because someone is a great player, they have a great sound. Music Calgary, you shot yourself in the foot a bit by commenting about Lukather's guitar tone on his instructional video. That was during the era he used a Sonic Maximiser, from what I recall. There's certainly not one in there now, and his guitar sound is better than ever. I've heard many great guitarists with awful guitar sounds, and the 80s rack era (including your beloved Sonic Maximiser) was responsible for a lot of them.

• Members

I'm still struggling with a couple of points in this ridiculous argument. Firstly, lots of people get paid to endorse gear so it can sit in their rigs... doesn't even mean it's used, and BBE make other products than Sonic Maximisers. BBE stop writing the cheques, people stop using the gear... and yet they don't seem to get taken off the endorsers list on the website? Maybe Satch (for example), who is a great player in spite of his guitar sound sometimes, has one which he uses in the studio for something other than guitar?

Secondly the idea that just because a guitarist is more famous makes them a superior player. To recoin a phrase, baloney! From what I've heard of him, Zachman's an amazing player.

Thirdly, just because someone is a great player, they have a great sound. Music Calgary, you shot yourself in the foot a bit by commenting about Lukather's guitar tone on his instructional video. That was during the era he used a Sonic Maximiser, from what I recall. There's certainly not one in there now, and his guitar sound is better than ever. I've heard many great guitarists with awful guitar sounds, and the 80s rack era (including your beloved Sonic Maximiser) was responsible for a lot of them.

Luke's current tour rig: Look ma, NO BBE

lukestourgear2.jpg

lukestourgear.jpg

Old rig: Look ma, NO BBE

BradshawcelebshotOld___057.jpg

Look Ma, NO BBE

Old___009.jpg

Where is that BBE?

Old___050.jpg

Hmmm... NO BBE:

rig15.jpg

So, maybe he did use a BBE, BUT... it sure doesn't seem like a prefered item to me, judging by his ACTUAL rigs, now does it?

BTW, I can post MANY MANY MANY rigs similar including Andy Summers, whom I've rented gear to, and he didn't have one then either, nor does he have one now.... The point being of the literally dozens and dozens of impressive rigs from back in the day and currently still in use by session players and touring players, there are mostly NONE with BBE's in them (FOR A REASON) They're NOT necessary. Just saying... ;)

• Members

By the way... I am a huge Satriani fan. I have seen him live no less than 9 or 10 times, met him 3 times, and been on his stage and checked out his gear. (in 2004) I've followed his playing and equipment since 1988 when I first heard him. I have NEVER seen him with a BBE, and would like someone to show me any pic of a BBE in his live rig. He is a pedalboard guy, with Boss, fulltone, and digitech pedals going into (Then) Marshall or (now) peavy amps.

I'm just saying.. using him in this argument is not valid. If he endorsed the thing, it's for studio work, not a live rig.

Ok. I'm done now. I'll leave this fight back to the folks it belongs too.:snax:

• Members

By the way... I am a huge Satriani fan. I have seen him live no less than 9 or 10 times, met him 3 times, and been on his stage and checked out his gear. (in 2004) I've followed his playing and equipment since 1988 when I first heard him. I have NEVER seen him with a BBE, and would like someone to show me any pic of a BBE in his live rig. He is a pedalboard guy, with Boss, fulltone, and digitech pedals going into (Then) Marshall or (now) peavy amps.

I'm just saying.. using him in this argument is not valid. If he endorsed the thing, it's for studio work, not a live rig.

Ok. I'm done now. I'll leave this fight back to the folks it belongs too.
:snax:

Johnny useless NEVER had a leg to stand on, re: live rigs and the use of a BBE. Most of his posts are with the recording forum, as I suspected was the case-- and there, I agree there is a more useful place for the BBE Sonic Maximizer-- Personally I'd rather use a TC Finalizer, TC 1128, 1140 or an Eventide, but that's me. ;)

• Members
Just to stir the pot a little - Here's a pic of George Lynch's live rig in '91. In the middle you'll see a 422.

rackA.jpg

Wager??? I bet I can post more pics of rigs without BBE's than you can of rigs with them.

What do you say? ;)

You know why? C'mon, you can say it :poke:

Archived