Waaaaay Coooool

BillESC

• Members

The Maxedia Compact would work. At about 10 large though, there are other options!

It's a rackmount unit that you trigger with DMX or internal cueing. So you could use a DMX software control program from your mac, but the XPe in Maxedia is something that's there to stay. So if you ran Chamsys MagicQ on your Mac, you could use that to run the Maxedia if you had the right interface. Chamsys is one of the best low-cost solutions to run media servers.

And in this hypothetical world, you would all but need a lighting/video tech at all your shows to make sure this runs smoothly and set everything up properly etc.

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Hey Bill, if I had the cash and wanted to get a couple of these screens to use in my stage setup, could I even get them in the U.S.A. now or what? What would you recommend? I want to use video backing my original/cover band but don't want to get into projectors, screens, etc.

• Members

Nice! Very nice! I'd want to hang one of these above my drummer, and use it for video/lyrics (we play singalong songs).

At 2 meters wide and 20mm spacing, that would be 100px wide. I tried converting some video files w/lyrics to 100x56px and the lyrics were readable but not great. At 160x90px width they looked great - but then we're down to 12,5mm spacing, a lot of pixels, a lot of money - I'd guess about twice the price of the $8000 you mentioned.

Maybe if I went with a 21:9 "cinematic" aspect ratio? 160x68px would be clear and nice, I'd hope for about $10000.

• Members

Looking at tghe mesh versions of these things - I wonder if you could get away with it hanging mid stage...

Just thinking ot would actually be quite awesome to see images flashing *over* the band in mid air, but the supports for the mesh might be a bit intrusive- perhaps not as good as a stage mesh + projector/laser for this kind of thing?

Archived