Need a power outlet like a guitar stompbox to turn light on and off

• Members

Do you want it latching or non-latching (i.e. light only one while you're pressing the button or press once to turn on, once to turn off)?

I used to use one of these:

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2020599/22850/Excalibur-Scroll-Saw-Foot-Switch.aspx?refcode=05INFROO.

I used to keep a couple of strobe lights on the drums, that I would turn on occationally when the drummer did double bass drum fills. This is non-latching. I would step on it for as long as I wanted the strobes one.

• Members

Do you want it latching or non-latching (i.e. light only one while you're pressing the button or press once to turn on, once to turn off)?

I used to use one of these:

I used to keep a couple of strobe lights on the drums, that I would turn on occationally when the drummer did double bass drum fills. This is non-latching. I would step on it for as long as I wanted the strobes one.

Latching, most likely, though non-latching might work too.

Is there any way we could wire something like this ourselves, assuming we had the correct parts?

• Members

Sure there is. But at $25 for a fully UL approved, pre-made switch, why would you?

Doing a quick search online, here's a latching version:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220507827398&rvr_id=156996273591&crlp=1_263602_304642&UA=WXI7&GUID=eccf202812a0a0e204249544fffc03e8&itemid=220507827398&ff4=263602_304642

Because its more fun to build your own {censored}. :thu:

• Members

I've used something like this - it's not ideal, but it will get you by. You certainly need to confirm that the conductor is rated to comply with the fixture you intend to use.

http://www.amazon.com/Coleman-Cable-9-Foot-Christmas-Extension/dp/B00004SQHU

I rigged up a ghetto light system with 2 of these and a half dozen work shoplights like this:

lighting%20shop%20light.jpg

Hate using them though because I'm worried about the load they put on the wiring for the footswitches themselves.

I've talked with our frontman who understands electrical far better than I with constructing some actual heavy-duty on-off stompboxes that can handle the load for something like that, to get us by until we decide to invest in real lights.

• Members

I've been looking for a dual stompbox on/off type footswitch for a couple LED F/X lights.

Can't seem to find just what I need either so I've been thinking it might be time to DIY with a couple of these

Heavy Duty 3A Footswitch Stomp Foot Switch On/Off Latching

But as has been said, whether off the shelf or DIY make sure you have ample current rating for the lights you are controlling.

Archived