Is the Peavey XR684 loud enough?

• Members
Originally posted by skier4467

I was just about to buy a Mackie 808m but now I see a XCR684 for $400. Should I get the Peavey instead? I need an 8 channel powered mixer loud enough to play rock and blues in small bars. Is 200w x2 loud enough?

I'm guessing that if you A/B'ed them side by side,the Peavey would sound as loud as the Mackie. That said,I don't think either of them would be enough power for anything more than just vocals at a moderate volume with efficient speakers.

• Members

I've used an 808S quite extensively in a large coffeeshop and a few bars. I should clarify, as long as you're not putting any low frequency in the mix, i'ts a fine guitar-n-vocal box for up to maybe 100 people, and that's of course with reasonably efficient speakers. If you're expecting to put drums and bass in the mix, tlbonehead's right, neither would be appropriate. You'd have to get a "real" PA.

And yes, if you a/b'ed them, they wouldn't be too different volume-wise but the Mackie would have a bit more headroom.

• Members

There's a local band that uses the Mackie 808. They run two Yamaha 15" club series speakers with 2 vocal mics, acoustic, guitar amp mic, & a few drum mics. They use IEM's for monitors. I've seen them in a bar that they play every week & a restaurant. Sounded good playing stuff like sweet emotion, won't get fooled again, etc.

Archived