Need more mixer channels....

• Members
Originally posted by MrKnobs

Man, I'd have to disagree with that. Tlbonehead's drummer is pretty special indeed if he can correctly mix his drums from the stage. Generally in small clubs the snare cracks so loud and the cymbals are picked up so well in the vocal mikes they need little or no boosts on their sliders. The other drums often need "tone shaping" where what is amplified through the mains is a heavily EQ'd version of the drum that would sound awful by itself but adds together with the stage sound of the drum to make a good tone. No way a drummer (or anyone else) could do that from the stage, without hearing what's out front. Plus, many drummers have a very strange idea of what drums are supposed to sound like in a mix!
:eek:

Now, if the drummer in question is using V-Drums, most of my above objections go away.

Terry D.

Umm,he doesn't get to touch the controls..:cool: We run sound from stage. Bass player is wireless and is also a sound tech with a great ear. Everything gets set shortly before start time and then not messed with much. Although we both (myself or the bass player)can slip out occasionally to make sure nothing is odd. So it really doesn't make a difference whether the controls are on the same board or on a separate one. And obviously,if we used a snake,the drumer's rack could be out front right with the rest of the mixer gear,so I'm not sure what the argument would be. And you are right,when we play a teenie club,the snare doesn't get much boost,if any. And he doesn't separately mic his cymbals,except outdoors. The vocal mics out front pick up plenty. He mikes his kick,snare,and four toms separately,and hi-hat in large venues.BTW,is the poster here running sound from stage or "snaking"?

• Members

I'm running sound from the stage but have a handful of willing and capable board tech's to keep an eye on the faders in the future. I have a 150' 24 channel snake that I can roll out to and have my "band member for a night" friends make sure we are level and sounding good.

I've given this alot of thought and with the competent replies of the HC board members I've decided what I'm gonna do.

I'd like to get a new Crest XR20 and call it a day, but I'm not convinced the step up from a Mackie 1604Vlz is worth $1600. I almost orderd a couple passive mixer/combiner units from Rolls but that put too much responsibility into the hands of my drummer or keyboardist. I like being able to bring up the snare or whatever without yelling back to the drummer.

So, I ordered a 1RU 6 channel mic/line mixer from Audiopile.

http://www.audiopile.net/products/Electronics/ML620E/ML-620E_cutsheet.asp

For now I plan on submixing the drums into it and bringing them back on a single channel into the Mackie. I lose the ability to "add more kick" to a particular monitor mix....but in retrospect, I don't get that request very often. If I do, I can promote the kick (or whatever) out for the submix and connect it directley to a Mackie channel.

Thanks for all the help. This continues to be the best forum on the web!

Frank

• Members

Originally posted by flanc

What about this little passive Rolls line mixer? I could sub mix my wifes two keyboards and perhaps her guitar (direct via Boss GT-3). Anyone have any experience with one of these? It's only $23 and doesn't require power. I could velcro the thing to her keyboard stand and feed it to a single DI into the snake.

Can anyone explain why this wasn't/isn't a good, cheap solution? It seems that this little gizmo was designed specifically to address this need.

Just another inquiring mind,

D

• Moderators

Originally posted by SteelyD2

Can anyone explain why this wasn't/isn't a good, cheap solution? It seems that this little gizmo was designed specifically to address this need.

Just another inquiring mind,

D

IMO, it IS a good, cheap solution.

Only drawback is that the key mix in the monitors would have to be the same as the keyboardist sends to the mains, which IMO is fine.

Terry D.

Archived