more talk about W-bin folded horns...a JBL design this time.

• Members

well, the last folded horn thread seemed to highlight the problems i might have with the Fender design unless i can find a Vega L187F driver. i really wanted to hear the beautiful sound of a Celestion bass driver, but i guess it's not going to happen in a W.

i came across the design for a W bin by JBL in my quest for knowledge on the W-style box. i found a Word document that outlines everything about an original JBL design which was built around the JBL K151 speaker, they also say 2240H. it is a ported enclosure. i am guessing the 2240H is a driver with similar parameters. i do know that the K151 has an alnico magnet though. the great thing is the plans specifically say it has an application in electric bass use...right up my alley!

i can get either of these woofers. they keep saying K151 in the plans but at the top it says "K151 of 2240H". what's up here? which is the better driver in general? are the characteristics of an alnico driver going to be an issue? thanks

• Members

They are two totally different drivers in terms of TS parameters. The K151 is a very heavy, stiff cone/suspension, the 2240 is lighter and more compliant.

The 151 is rated at 150w RMS, free air resonance of 30Hz, smooth cone, paper OR "Duraluminum" dust cap. The 2240, is 300-400wRMS (depends on rating translations, but 600 watts program at that time could mean 300 or 400 RMS), ribbed cone, free air resonance of about 35Hz.

Lots of times, things get into writing that have no relation to reality.

• Members

I have a PAIR of EV Eliminator folded horns (single 1x15" "w" design) minus speakers in my storage building. I thought I would donate them to a teen-ager band, but none around here are interested. Aw, what do kids nowadays know anyway?

Shipping would be a pain, but I would love to give them to a good home - that is, to a group/person who would actually use them.

EDIT: Probably mid-1980's cabinets, about 38 inches high.

• Members

Originally posted by ezstep

I have a PAIR of EV Eliminator folded horns (single 1x15" "w" design) minus speakers in my storage building. I thought I would donate them to a teen-ager band, but none around here are interested. Aw, what do kids nowadays know anyway?

Shipping would be a pain, but I would love to give them to a good home - that is, to a group/person who would actually use them.

Those cabinets were available as both a sub and with a mid horn and tweeter as a (rather dreadful sounding) full range box!

• Members
Originally posted by ezstep

are you serious? god damn, i wish i lived around you. i'm 16 and i'm the only guy at my school who knows anything about speakers. admittedly, i don't know very much about folded horns aside from the fact that i like them. sound physics was about the only section i did well in in my physics course. i would really be interested, maybe not right now but certainly within the next 6-7 months. i might only need one though...but i might just grab both.

• Members

Those suckers are HEAVY!

What was the EV model which was a bit taller (48"?), a bit wider, and shallower? I inhereted one from my brother back in high school, and built a matching cabinet. Not sure if the first one was original EV (probably not...), but it was a lot lighter than the Eliminator.

• Members
Originally posted by Scodiddly

Those suckers are HEAVY!

What was the EV model which was a bit taller (48"?), a bit wider, and shallower? I inhereted one from my brother back in high school, and built a matching cabinet. Not sure if the first one was original EV (probably not...), but it was a lot lighter than the Eliminator.

One of the Sentry models was about 42-44" high and about 27-28" wide and maybe 20" or a little deeper. It had two 12"s in a W-horn design. Also had the poly-like horn mounted above the cab and the baby-cheek like tweeter mounted somewhere in the bass horn if I remember correctly.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

1829,maybe? I think it was pretty much a paging horn driver.

Correct, I haven't thought about that driver for probably 20 years! It was probably the worst sounding driver for that application, but there wasn't much available, especially at that price. Yes, it was used in paging applications also.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

One of the Sentry models was about 42-44" high and about 27-28" wide and maybe 20" or a little deeper. It had two 12"s in a W-horn design. Also had the poly-like horn mounted above the cab and the baby-cheek like tweeter mounted somewhere in the bass horn if I remember correctly.

That was an ST-350 tweeter... also unreliable.

There was a double-15" W-box, a single 15", a single 12" and a double 12", they were from the "TL" series. I built 4 of the double 15" versions, loaded w/ 15B's and they put out a tremendous amount of low end, but they had a steep cut-off of around 40 Hz, were quite woofy at 125 - 250 and weighed about 200 lbs each. They were the size of refrigerators.

They were also very difficult to construct. There's a lot of wood internal to the cabinet (almost 4 sheets of 3/4" plywood per box) and lots of difficult angles and sub-assemblies.

They were about 105dB/1W/1M which really rocked when driven by Phase Linear 700B's.

• Members

Briefly used an EV W-bin setup when we launched Stormfront in '92. W bins were actually Eliminator clones, loaded with Ampex 15" Bass guitar drivers (don't know make or model) from the V4B cab. Tops were University Cobraflex folded re-entrant horn paging units with oiled linen diaphragms--all powered with an Acoustic 850 8x1 powered mixer. All early '70s vintage.

Nothing under 80Hz or over about 4K passed. I think we used it twice--once as FOH for a small gig, and once as sidefills when we rented FOH. Believe it's all wildlife habitat, now, with the exception of the 850--which a local music store still has in its rental stock!!!

• Members

Originally posted by bassknave

Briefly used an EV W-bin setup when we launched Stormfront in '92. W bins were actually Eliminator clones, loaded with Ampex 15" Bass guitar drivers (don't know make or model) from the V4B cab. Tops were University Cobraflex folded re-entrant horn paging units with oiled linen diaphragms--all powered with an Acoustic 850 8x1 powered mixer. All early '70s vintage.

Nothing under 80Hz or over about 4K passed. I think we used it twice--once as FOH for a small gig, and once as sidefills when we rented FOH. Believe it's all wildlife habitat, now, with the exception of the 850--which a local music store still has in its rental stock!!!

Good to hear from you Phil...

Archived