Buying a PA

• Members

I'm a kid in a band of 5 guys. 2 guitars, 1 bass, 2 vocals. I have NO idea about PAs and I'm going to be buying one soon. I have $650 to work with and am wondering the following.

Better to run instruments through the PA? Even with how small the PA is going to be?

If yes, with mics on amps or directly into the mixer?

Thanks a ton for the help. Right now I'm looking at probably buying this PA

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031227111104067024183024777032/g=live/search/detail/base_id/88753

Again, THANKS A TON :)

• Members
Originally posted by wherearemypants

I'm a kid in a band of 5 guys. 2 guitars, 1 bass, 2 vocals. I have NO idea about PAs and I'm going to be buying one soon. I have $650 to work with and am wondering the following.

Better to run instruments through the PA? Even with how small the PA is going to be?

If yes, with mics on amps or directly into the mixer?

Thanks a ton for the help. Right now I'm looking at probably buying this PA

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031227111104067024183024777032/g=live/search/detail/base_id/88753

Again, THANKS A TON
:)

That's a great package if you want to sound really bad. Packages are usually put together to make money,not to sound decent. I would recommend a small powered mixer 200-300 watts/channel and a pair of used decent speakers. If you choose wisely,it would blow that package you listed into the weeds. And I wouldn't get too carried away with lots of instruments through a small PA. You are severely limited in headroom.

• Members

Okay. Thank you a TON tl. That's what I was thinking initially and the guy at Guitar Center told me no way was that a good idea. After checking it out, I see why.

A Behringer PMX2000 looks like the best deal on a powered mixer by a LOT. Am I missing something? Is there a reason it's so cheap compared to comparable stuff?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031227111104067024183024777032/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/631240/

What should I look for in speakers other than power rating? Does bigger speakers = better?

Sorry for the beyond stupid questions. I just have no idea what I'm doing. I'm a guitarist and a drummer with relatively little gigging experience. I GREATLY appreciate the help. thanks :)

• Members
Originally posted by wherearemypants

Okay. Thank you a TON tl. That's what I was thinking initially and the guy at Guitar Center told me no way was that a good idea. After checking it out, I see why.

A Behringer PMX2000 looks like the best deal on a powered mixer by a LOT. Am I missing something? Is there a reason it's so cheap compared to comparable stuff?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/sid=031227111104067024183024777032/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/631240/

What should I look for in speakers other than power rating? Does bigger speakers = better?

Sorry for the beyond stupid questions. I just have no idea what I'm doing. I'm a guitarist and a drummer with relatively little gigging experience. I GREATLY appreciate the help. thanks
:)

Well,don't take the GC salesperson's word as gospel either,but in this case,it is correct. The Behringer is a good deal as long as you don't have problems with it. If you do,it is kind of a crap-shoot. I'd look used,especially the smaller Peavey models. Or check with Audiopile here about his EWI powered mixers. Probably a bit better quality and definitely better customer relations. He is a regular here and a real straight shooter. He sometimes has demo models that he might be able to shoot you a price on. Send him a PM. As for speakers,in your case,power handling isn't the primary thing to look for,IMO. With the small budget,you won't be able to afford any major power anyway. Look first at the efficiency rating and get a feel or ask here if the rating seems honest. Especially with limited power,you will want speakers that can squeeze as much clean flat volume as possible out of lower wattages. BTW,I do have a couple pairs of 15" 2-way trapezoid PA cabs that sound good for not much money. Here's my e-addy if you are interested. tlbonehead@yahoo.com

• Members

I have the Behringer PMX 2000 and just used it for the first time at practice yesterday so i cant say a ton about it. But it worked well for us. We are a 3 piece Emo/Pop Punk band. All we run through it is vocals and sometimes bass drum. We are gonna be using it for basement shows and so far its working really well.

• Members

I stronly suggest staying clear of powered mixers.....

Unless you never will need to expand the system then go for it.....

Powered mixers are a dead end.....once you have grown out of them your stuck with a ok mixer and a terrible power amp that you have grown out of......

I personally would go for some active speakers (that are multi purpose FOH/Monitors) and a good quality passive mixer so you may expand later......

Archived