Mic Pre for Shure 55sh II?

• Members

That mic can be a finicky one. The trick is to sing into the little shure emblem on the front. Many people get on top of the mic which is off axis. You'll end up bangin' your nose on it a few times, but put 2 inches between you and it and all will be well.

pete

• Members

No no no, if you don't like the sound of the mic, getting a preamp will not help you any. You have to get a mic THAT YOU LIKE THE SOUND of! I doubt getting a preamp would help you even if you did have a mic you liked--they're just not very effective in live sound, unless of course you're an international tourer playing through a zillion dollar system.

That said, Unalaska may have something here--don't complain about the sound until you've actually heard the sound in action! I don't mean to sound like a jerk--in live sound it's easy to lose track of your common sense, we've all been there.

Soundcraft makes fine mixers. IMO, wait until you get the mixer and then see if you still don't like the 55...and if you don't I can tell you now that a 58 probably won't impress you either, but who knows. If you do decide to get a different mic, I really like Audix OM series mics, particularly the OM5, 6, and for certain things, the 7. I even prefer the OM2 to the SM58 (though not the Beta58), and the OM2 is a hair cheaper than the 58 to boot.

Good luck!

• Members

Originally posted by dirtyragamuffin

I doubt getting a preamp would help you even if you did have a mic you liked--they're just not very effective in live sound, unless of course you're an international tourer playing through a zillion dollar system.

^This is the answer I was looking for.

That said, Unalaska may have something here--don't complain about the sound until you've actually heard the sound in action! I don't mean to sound like a jerk--in live sound it's easy to lose track of your common sense, we've all been there.

I hadn't complained yet.

I said I had HEARD that they weren't too good, so I wondered if a pre-amp could help...

Soundcraft makes fine mixers. IMO, wait until you get the mixer and then see if you still don't like the 55...and if you don't I can tell you now that a 58 probably won't impress you either, but who knows.

See, I HAVE heard the 58. Haven't I already said the 55 sounds like a 58 so far??!

All I was asking was, "If I don't like [insert mic here], would a pre-amp help?"

But, this is over now

• Members

A true 55 sounds nothing like a 58. No comparison, not even close. The 55 is a very midrangy mic, with a bunch of low-mid for added mud. There are a few guys who take the older housings and add updated elements which help quite a bit, but the chamber that houses the mic adds a lot of coloration (for good and bad) to the sound.

The re-issie 55 sounds better, but still not as good as a 58 IMO.

• Members
Originally posted by agedhorse

A true 55 sounds nothing like a 58. No comparison, not even close. The 55 is a very midrangy mic, with a bunch of low-mid for added mud. There are a few guys who take the older housings and add updated elements which help quite a bit, but the chamber that houses the mic adds a lot of coloration (for good and bad) to the sound.

The re-issie 55 sounds better, but still not as good as a 58 IMO.

Is this the "ELVIS" mic?

• Members

the 55sh II is the reissue...

Of course it isn't the 58, but so far I hear a color more like the 58 than others.

Most other vocal mics I've used, besides the 58, have too much high and mid. They make my voice too piercing and nasally, and I do NOT sing nasally. I've had voice lessons and choir experience.

A bass/baritone should NOT come through a mic as piercing or nasally.

Anyways

• Members
Originally posted by DannyCostello

the 55sh II is the reissue...

Of course it isn't the 58, but so far I hear a color more like the 58 than others.

Most other vocal mics I've used, besides the 58, have too much high and mid. They make my voice too piercing and nasally, and I do NOT sing nasally. I've had voice lessons and choir experience.

A bass/baritone should NOT come through a mic as piercing or nasally.

Anyways

Strip EQ. Maybe you're like our lead singer when he first started singing through a real sound system. He was so used to singing through junky mics and junky speakers(he was a karaoke hound)that everything sounded too bright for him. If it didn't have that "blanket over the speaker" tone,it was too bright.:)

Archived