How much power?

• Members
Originally posted by SoundtechSD

I forget how much wattage those Madisons that you sold me will handle, but I ran them for five or six gigs with a bridged RMX1850 with a limiter in front of it without any problems.

They are rated at 500 watts RMS and are a pretty hefty driver. That's still quite a bit of power,but I've found that folded horn cabs are a little less fussy,since you don't have any ports or vents that will unload the speaker below the box's tuning. That makes a bit of difference,IMO. Also,weren't you using them mainly for DJ'ing? If so,you don't have the hot peaks like live music without the compression.

• Members

Originally posted by SoundtechSD

I forget how much wattage those Madisons that you sold me will handle, but I ran them for five or six gigs with a bridged RMX1850 with a limiter in front of it without any problems.

With a limiter in front of the amp, you could be limiting the power to 50 watts, or 500 watts. I could put a 10,000 watt amp in a pair of computer speakers with a properly configured limiter.

• Members

Kerosene,
The LS1208's are big and heavy. If it's an install and you've got the space, no problem. They are very efficient and the B&C driver is robust. Yorkville recommends applying quite a bit of power to them. If you want to be sure to be "over the top", then this could be your sub.
I understand buying locally, but if they don't know when they can get more in then you have to look elsewhere. Besides, if Audioeast offers free shipping on these monsters, that's a huge savings.
The LS808 have also had very favorable reports (including it's predecessor model and the current powered model.) It's horn loaded design could give it a final SPL edge over the also very good JBL M-pro model.
Do a search here on these models....both have been discussed. Also do a search on "subs" in general. You'll read a lot about the advice others have been telling you just now.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

They are rated at 500 watts RMS and are a pretty hefty driver. That's still quite a bit of power,but I've found that folded horn cabs are a little less fussy,since you don't have any ports or vents that will unload the speaker below the box's tuning. That makes a bit of difference,IMO. Also,weren't you using them mainly for DJ'ing? If so,you don't have the hot peaks like live music without the compression.

I used them for mostly live sound with three dj gigs too.

Archived