Large OR Small Diaphragm For Live Solo Acoustic Guitar

• Members

It's more the pattern that's prone to feedback rather than the diaphram size. If the mic is a supercardiod, or better yet, hypercardiod, you'll have more feedback resistance than a standard cardiod. That's one of the nice things about an AKG C1000s for live sound reinforcement. It's not that great for recording, kinda strident (although I've heard some very good recordings done with a pair of them), but it has an adapter that turns it into a hypercardiod for live performing and you can really get a lot of mic in the mix without feeding back. I'm not sure (Shure?) if there are any large diaphram condensors that are hypercardiod. Recently i saw a Dixie Chicks concert on TV that looked like they were using large diaphrams to suppliment the acoustic/electrics they were playing, but they were also wearing IEM's and I'm sure that made a difference.:p

• Members

Depends so much on the quality and flatness of the PA. Large diaphram mics can be very tricky live unless you have a very good pa. Monitors add to the grief.

Tha said, I have successfully used C414's, AT 4033's, C3000's successfully, but that's on a really flat and natural sounding PA w/ very little monitors and good mic technique.

Archived