PA Monitor question

• Members

I'm getting a small PA

I want good cl;ean sound in a compact package.

...400 watt powered mixer ....main speakers will be 12in with 2 in horn.

I am thinking about 10in with 1in horn driver for the monitors.

Is this adequate?

The music is blues and the PA will be only vocals and maybe a harp....

any thoughts?

• Members

As I answered in your other post,quality is more important than size. A good quality 10" model will be great. BTW,what model are your main speakers? You don't see many 12" cabs with actual 2" exit horns,at least not in the lower priced stuff.

• Members

Adequate? Probably. Great? I think you know the answer to that.

Something to think about is how much you can utilize the stuff later on. When you've got a full PA with everything going through it, how are you going to feel about using what you're getting now? Just something to think about.

Any specific models you had in mind? Active or passive? Budget?

• Members

And as far as the HF driver size goes, the throat size is more important than the size of the driver. If the specs you're looking at don't specify whether the dimension is for the throat size or not, I would assume that the 2" dimension is for the driver, with a 1" exit.

That's one of those things that manufacturers of products of "questionable" quality do to make their products appear better than they are. It works on people who don't know what they're doing, or who aren't paying close attention to the numbers.

Which means that if the speakers you're getting actually have a 2" exit, they're probably pretty good.

• Members

Thanks

A few thoughts....

Yamaha club series S112V is the main speaker.

I appreciate the thought about what I may get lateron, but as I said I am looking for good clean sound in a compact package as I will be the one transporting / lifting this gear. If I hadnt' had 2 back surgeries and drove an 18 wheeler, size would not be a consideration.

But actually for the sound we have, and the places we play and will play, I don't need to mix the entire band through the PA.

I need a rig that will make the vocals sound good.

Thanks for your thoughts.

This morning I am leaning toward a 12 in monitor......simply because good sound is a priority or size......

ml

:cool:

• Members

Just a suggestion -

Take a look at the Cerwini Vega PSX-122.

Plywood - vs. MDF construction of Yamaha

Cast frame woofer vs stamped frame

polyurathane coating vs carpet

coaxial design has benefits

full face grill

8 lbs lighter (real wood is lighter than MDF)

better frequency response as CV uses +/- 3 dB instead of +/- 10 dB. - I hate that spec. (disregard the ad spec on the link, it's wrong. The spec from CV is 70Hxz - 17Hz

SAME PRICE

• Members

Originally posted by michaell

Thanks

Yamaha club series S112V is the main speaker.

This morning I am leaning toward a 12 in monitor......simply because good sound is a priority or size......

ml

I just knew you were going to say that your so-called 2" horn models were Yam Clubs. I don't know why people actually think they have true 2" drivers. They have a basic 1" exit just like almost anything in that area with a 2" VC,once again,same as most. Yam just chooses to advertise that in there description and some people take it the wrong way. Is Yam lying? No,but its debatable on whether or not they are trying to mislead.

As for the monitor,why would you think that a 12" monitor is automatically going to sound better than a 10" model? As I said before,it is about quality.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I just knew you were going to say that your so-called 2" horn models were Yam Clubs. I don't know why people actually think they have true 2" drivers. They have a basic 1" exit just like almost anything in that area with a 2" VC,once again,same as most. Yam just chooses to advertise that in there description and some people take it the wrong way. Is Yam lying? No,but its debatable on whether or not they are trying to mislead.

As for the monitor,why would you think that a 12" monitor is automatically going to sound better than a 10" model? As I said before,it is about quality.

I knew it too. I don't understand why they have to mislead with "2 horn and by quoting -10 dB specs. While no superstar performer, it's arguable that the Yamaha Club is the most widely used speaker on the market. It seems to be the series everyone judges other MI cabinets from (not that it's the best quality, just that it's well known and everyone has heard it). I guess for the "average joe" the specs sound great and beat other companies who are using more reputable measurements. I've found very few reputable companies using the -10 dB spec. That's usually reserved for the Pyle Pro, Pyramid, Gemini and other Dj crap.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

funny how I ask a simple question about monitor

speaker size......

and I get rants about truth in advertising and posturing about how I am wrong about 2in horns....?

thats a waste of my time and doesn't really help me

As far as a 12 inch speaker sounding better than a 10in?

I'm certain that there are some 10s that do sound better than

12s.....but in my world I am convinced thata for the most part .....most 12s in monitor systems are going to sound better than 10s.....thats just the way it is.

Besides.....

the speakers won't be singing.....and that's really what matters...

it's not the machine it's the operator.

ml

• Members

Originally posted by abzurd

I knew it too. I don't understand why they have to mislead with "2 horn and by quoting -10 dB specs. While no superstar performer, it's arguable that the Yamaha Club is the most widely used speaker on the market. It seems to be the series everyone judges other MI cabinets from (not that it's the best quality, just that it's well known and everyone has heard it). I guess for the "average joe" the specs sound great and beat other companies who are using more reputable measurements. I've found very few reputable companies using the -10 dB spec. That's usually reserved for the Pyle Pro, Pyramid, Gemini and other Dj crap.

see what I wrote tbonehead

by the way....you guys sound like you think alike...

maybe you two should start up a band ? You'll know which gear is the best

duh?

ml

:rolleyes:

• Members

Well, if you could accurately interpret spec sheets, you'd be asking about specific models that you're thinking of rather than expecting us to know exactly what you want with only a minimum of information.

As for speaker size, I bet I could find a good quality 5" speaker in a well tuned cabinet that sounded 10x better than a low quality 12" speaker in a pooly tuned cab.

If you don't have the patience to do a little research for yourself, how do you expect people to have patience for your comments? There's a lot of information out there, and if you took the time to do some reading, you'd have a much better understanding of this kind of thing.

Also, this topic has been BEATEN TO DEATH about a billion times, so consider yourself fortunate that anybody bothered to answer your question with more than a "This topic has been beaten to death. Do a search."

Also, what the hell is your BUDGET. It's pretty hard to recommend ANYTHING when we don't know what you want to SPEND!.

Tell you what, but a few Meyer UM-1P's. These will be all the monitor you will ever need.

Or you could get a couple of these. Would they work for you? They have a sensitivity of 92dB, and I bet that's an optimistic measurement. How does that sound?

Well, I recommend something in the range between the two monitors I just mentioned. I think I narrowed the field down suficiently for you to find exactly what you need.

• Members

Just a suggestion -

Take a look at the

Plywood - vs. MDF construction of Yamaha

Cast frame woofer vs stamped frame

polyurathane coating vs carpet

coaxial design has benefits

full face grill

8 lbs lighter (real wood is lighter than MDF)

better frequency response as CV uses +/- 3 dB instead of +/- 10 dB. - I hate that spec. (disregard the ad spec on the link, it's wrong. The spec from CV is 70Hxz - 17Hz

SAME PRICE

GOOD FREAKIN' GOD MAN! - You don't expect much. I took the time to do YOUR research and recommend the above monitor. What the hell do you want? I even did a side by side comparison with what you were looking at.

I seldom get pissed around here. Congrats you've pissed me off.

By the way "YOUR'E WELCOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Members

Jeez, did someone let the lunatics out? I love it when an ignorant novice asks the pros a question, doesn't like the answer, then tells them that they are wrong, and complains about them wasting his time!

I was wowed by the insightful reasoning: "That's just the way it is." Now that is a profound, beautifully articulated explanation! Oh, and I also liked, "the speakers won't be singing."

• Members

Now that Mark left I'm pissed again. I too am getting sick of the ingrates that show up once in the forum to either sell something or tell the regulars how wrong they are. Take your head out of your ass long enough to drive to Guitar Center with your $500. There you'll get professional help from a knowledgeable sales associate with your best interests in mind.

• Members

If you are looking at a decent vox only PA I would take a look at getting a pair of JBL MPRO 212's. They are a 2 way cab with a single 12 and a horn. They are about 600-700 a pair new. The Yorkvilee Elite series is another good option. Same design as the JBL's. A pair of York's will run you about 700-800 a pair new. Both brands are made of plywood and not MDF. Buy quality. If you can, I would steer clear of the Yammie clubs. Buy a pair mains that can also be used as monitors. There are many companys that are building main cabs that are designed/cut for this purpose. Take a look at the Soundcraft GigRac 600. It is an 8 cahnnel mixer that is rated at 600 watts. MF is selling them for 550. I am sure you can find it cheaper. You are looking at spending at least 1K for a decent vox only PA. This PA would serve you well as monitor rig if you ever decided to upgrade and add subs, mains, mixer, poweramp.

• Members

Now that Mark left I'm pissed again. I too am getting sick of the ingrates that show up once in the forum to either sell something or tell the regulars how wrong they are. Take your head out of your ass long enough to drive to Guitar Center with your $500. There you'll get professional help from a knowledgeable sales associate with your best interests in mind.

ROFLMAO +101 AMEN!!

• Members
Originally posted by michaell

funny how I ask a simple question about monitor

speaker size......

and I get rants about truth in advertising and posturing about how I am wrong about 2in horns....?

thats a waste of my time and doesn't really help me

As far as a 12 inch speaker sounding better than a 10in?

I'm certain that there are some 10s that do sound better than

12s.....but in my world I am convinced thata for the most part .....most 12s in monitor systems are going to sound better than 10s.....thats just the way it is.

Besides.....

the speakers won't be singing.....and that's really what matters...

it's not the machine it's the operator.

ml

What's the matter with you?

Archived