Connecting 2 - JBL MP418SP

• Members

I'm using a pair of JBL MP418SP powered subs for an upcoming event.

I want to send my signal to one MP418SP then send the same signal to the other sub (thru connection).

The diagrams and instruction manual are confusing. It says the "thru" connector has a a high pass filter on it??

I just need the same signal to go to the other sub.

I have a separate amp for the tops, so I don't need the "Sub+Sat" mode.

• Members
Originally posted by OftheSeven

I'm using a pair of JBL MP418SP powered subs for an upcoming event.

I want to send my signal to one MP418SP then send the same signal to the other sub (thru connection).

The diagrams and instruction manual are confusing. It says the "thru" connector has a a high pass filter on it??

I just need the same signal to go to the other sub.

I have a separate amp for the tops, so I don't need the "Sub+Sat" mode.

Why don't you just "Y" your line level signal at the first sub and send it over to the second one?

• CMS Author

What do you have, MP418P x2, or one MP418P and one MP418S?

The P has a two-channel amp. Channel 1 drives the internal speaker, and channel 2 can either be high-passed to drive a mid-high in Sub+sat mode, or low-passed to drive an unpowered remote sub in Sub+sub mode. Power is 660w @ 4ohms.

In all instances (either mode) the input XLR is paralleled to the pass-through XLR, and full-range, with stereo high-passed outputs also provided to drive a mid-high power amp. Xover point is 120dB.

• Members

In all instances (either mode) the input XLR is paralleled to the pass-through XLR, and full-range, with stereo high-passed outputs also provided to drive a mid-high power amp. Xover point is 120dB.

Craig,

Which pass through is full-range and which is high pass? Is the "INT out" full range and the "EXT out" high pass?

BTW, both MP418 are powered (2xMP418SP).

I totall forgot about using a Y-cable. I got lost in all the I/O options on the back of the cab:)

• CMS Author

Originally posted by OftheSeven

Craig,

Which pass through is full-range and which is high pass? Is the "INT out" full range and the "EXT out" high pass?

BTW, both MP418 are powered (2xMP418SP).

I totall forgot about using a Y-cable. I got lost in all the I/O options on the back of the cab:)

I'm sorry, after rereading I see I wasn't clear at all before.

In sub+sub mode, HPF's are used on both XLR outs. The external amp has a LPF inserted before its input to feed a passive sub. You could use this if you had one powered 418, one passive 418, and then used the XLR outs to feed a high-passed signal to a stereo power amp for a passive mid-high pair.

In sub+sat mode, the XLR's do not use the HPF's and so get a full range line-level signal. The external amp has a HPF inserted in its input in this mode and can power a passive mid-high speaker. In this mode you could use a passive mid-high powered by the external amp, and run a stereo full-range signal to a second 418+mid-high set located opposite stage or next to this set.

It seems pretty flexible and I don't see an immediate need for any y-cabling.

• Members

OK, I get it. . . (I should really learn how to read those block diagrams).

Now my other question. Since I plan to use these with MP415s on top, is the 120hz crossover point a bit high?

I have a crossover (JBL 223xl). I was planning to cross them over in the 80hz range.

I don't want the bass to get muddy with the 18inch sub trying to play 120hz material.

Archived