Help me spend $4000

• Members

Hello,

I need some help. I need a PA system for small-med clubs. I have about 4 grand budgeted.

I already have a 16 channel board which will suffice for now.

I need basically everything else.

I am not concerned with "effects" but EQ and other types of equipment of course are required.

Some points:

I'm leaning towards smaller two way mains w one /12 or 15 per cab. Subs w/poles for the speakers or stands depending on the situation.

I would like at least 3 monitors, two up front and one for drummer (no drums in monitor, vocals only typically maybe a horn)

Please help me on this, I am open to any suggestions and can give as much addition info as needed.

Thanks

• CMS Author

Hmm...let's see.

3 monitors: Most average 12" run about $300. JBL JRX (Sound Factor), Yamaha Club, Peavey, etc. are all pretty decent and similar. Don't forget Yorkville if youv'e got them near you. That's $900.

Power for monitors: Let's use a QSC RMX1450. $400.

EQ: A dbx dual 31-band, about $200.

Mains and subs: Peavey SP-2X and SP-118X. A pair of each, $1,700.

Power for mains and subs: QSC RMX2450. $550.

That leaves $250 for cabling, or tax or shipping, or some beer.

• Members

Originally posted by RoboPimp

Thanks for the reply.

how are the QSC amps? Decent?

I've only had one QSC, but they seem to be the best bang for the buck for something that's quality.

BTW - Another idea: I just did about $3,500 on a new PA, with no monitors, but I added a mixer. I did the Yorkville powered speakers: You could do: 2 x NX550P's (12" powered mains, light but powerful

• Members

Originally posted by tremendo

BTW - Another idea: I just did about $3,500 on a new PA, with no monitors, but I added a mixer. I did the Yorkville powered speakers: You could do: 2 x NX550P's (12" powered mains, light but powerful

That wouldn't be a bad way to go. Then, when the Robo-Hoes bring in some more money you could get a second LS800.

• Members

Originally posted by soul-x

That wouldn't be a bad way to go. Then, when the Robo-Hoes bring in some more money you could get a second LS800.

That was friggin' great!!

Actually we're going to see if the 1 sub will do it for us for now. We've been "sub-less" and have gotten by OK. If you're doing just one sub, the LS800P is a good one to do.

• Members

I love the Soundtech PS802, but unless purchased used, it's not super cheap. Over $400.

I agree the MVP would be a good way to go - at least comparable to the other MI monitors mentioned for less dough. Too bad you weren't looking 2 weeks ago. MF was blowing out the leftover Yamaha Club 12" monitors for $170. I looked everywhere and they are gone now.

Another choice in the $300 ballpark is the

Cerwin Vega PSX-122.

- benefits of coaxial design

- small footprint

- Real wood (not many sub $300 boxes are)

- spray coat finish

- Light (35 lbs)

- can be adequately powered by a QSC RMX1450 which can be had new for $350 delivered. You can even use 1/2 of the amp for one mix (lead singer) and the other half for 2 monitors on the same mix. If you can get by with this you can save yourself from buying 2 amps for now.

Get your speaker cables (EWI NL-2-13) from Mark at audiopile. You get pro quality cables for MI price.

This gets you monitor system for $1370 including cables and shipping.

Mains - There's a lot out there. I like active mains, especially if you are a "do it yourself" band. Harder to blow stuff up that way.

I was looking around and found a GREAT deal from

AudioEast. Crest LQ12P - Used Pair of LQ12P Active 12" + 1" speakers 500w - @ $800 - Pair

Now you have the $$$ for TWO Yorkville LS800P.

That takes you to $3908. You'll end up in the neighborhood of $4200 over after 2 dual 31 band EQ's that are nothing special. If you need mics then a bit more (possibly a lot more). There are some shortcuts though. Behringer 3 pack vocal mics aren't bad. They end up being $20 each. Also, Audiopile has a decent kick mic for like $35. Radio Shack has a clip on mic that is surprisingly good for the price. They go on sale for like $19 a few times a year. They'll work for snare and rack tom. Wouldn't be a great choice for use on a floor tom though.

This system will be easily better than 96.3% of what's out there every weekend in what I call the "C circuit" - hole in the wall low paying clubs, and better than 75.7% of the "B Circuit" - suburban, decent paying strip mall bars. In my area if you're using that system to it's potential, have minimal lighting and are a good band you'll bring in $500 - $800 a show.

• Members

I have a local yorkvile dealer, the Y150s are about $300... all they tell ya in the specs is 300 watt program. Is that 150 RMS?

Also looking at the Peavey PV2600. Another place round here will do it for about $500? These any good? I've always had pretty dang good luck w/peavey power amps. The CS800 comes to mind... hmmm....

ROBO-HOs!! BRING ME MAH MONEY!! DOES ROBOPIMP HAFTA CHOKE A HO? ;)

• Members

I have a local yorkvile dealer, the Y150s are about $300... all they tell ya in the specs is 300 watt program. Is that 150 RMS?

With the $ you're looking at, I wouldn't do the Y150's nor anything in the "Performance Series". Our other suggestions for Yorkville are much better gear. I've often heard that the Performance Series is like the cheaper JBLs or Yamahas, where as the NX550 and the Elite series have much more clarity and are much better speakers.

• Members

yer right. I dunno what I'm doin' I don't want to be cheap, just hard to break the habit. I have also been looking at the JBLs Mpros, I've always liked JBLs.

The only bad part is no one around me sells 'em and I kinda want to keep the major purchases local if possible.

Anyone have any opinions on the JBL Mpros?

• CMS Author

To answer some of the questions, at least with my opinions:

The QSC amps are good. Very reliable, good features, good sound.

Same for Peavey 2600 and CS800. The CS amps are legendary in terms of reliability, but not the same bang for the buck as QSC. If you can find a used one, grab it. Otherwise, you can probably get a better deal on QSC.

The Peavey SP2-X is a good speaker. You can field replace the Black Widow driver baskets if they ever crap out, the sound is surprisingly good, and the price is right.

JBL MPro 200 has an iffy rep, though I don't really know what the problem is....they seem no different than other MI grade in the price range. The MPro 400 series are pretty damned good...the 18" subs use the same 2241 driver that the SR and other series sport, and there are few better for the money.

• Members

You can also look at some of Carvin's offerings. They have a new TRX speaker line that looks promising. I have heard from amp and mixer users that they are a good value. Comparable to Peavey and Mackie type stuff. Better than Behringer. Made in USA too.

I have used some older Yorkville 'elite monitors (10" 2 -way) that work really well and are small and portable. I have used two of them for a bass player and they work fine.

• Members

ok... now I'm leaning away from the peavey PV2600 power amp - even the sales guy didn't like 'em, but still interested in the SP2s

the yorkville power amps are looking tempting now, good warranty and such.

so hard to tell what amp actually makes what amount of power. Everyone has different specs.

like some list total watts at RMS at 1K and 1.0% THD

some list RMS at 20-20Khz and 0.1% THD

what's the deal, can anyone explain this ? :confused:

anyway, the guy who didn't like the PV2600 had great things to say about the Yamaha P3500S and the rest of that series. Anyone here have any experience with these?

• Members

If your budget is only $4K consider the QSC RMX series. Cheap, reliable power. Good reputation and good service record should you need it. Allocate as much as you can toward your FOH speakers. This is really where the rubber meets the road!

• CMS Author

ok... now I'm leaning away from the peavey PV2600 power amp - even the sales guy didn't like 'em, but still interested in the SP2s

the yorkville power amps are looking tempting now, good warranty and such.

so hard to tell what amp actually makes what amount of power. Everyone has different specs.

like some list total watts at RMS at 1K and 1.0% THD

some list RMS at 20-20Khz and 0.1% THD

what's the deal, can anyone explain this ?
:confused:

anyway, the guy who didn't like the PV2600 had great things to say about the Yamaha P3500S and the rest of that series. Anyone here have any experience with these?

What it boils down to is this.....any Peavey, EV, Yorkville, Crown, QSC, Crest or Mackie amp will be reliable and probably sound close enough that you'd never be able to tell them apart. So you may as well go for best value, and QSC offers this about 90% of the time. The other 10% will be local deals you can dig up.

If they aren't commonly available in your area, choose one of the others that is....I'm a firm believer in buying gear that you can easily service, replace or add on to locally

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

The Peavey 2600 has a pretty good reputation for in servive reliability. Might want to find out WHY the sales guy doesn't like them. The real answer (if he's willing) might surprise you.

well, I'm not sure what you mean about the "real answer" but he DID give me a reason and I agreed with him:

They suck for bass, they don't have enough poop. Basically they lied about the specs. From my experiences with these amps he's 100% right. My friend uses one of these for his subs and it has no where near the smack it should have according to the specs.

He didn't say they broke down a lot, nothing to do with the reputation for service reliability. Just basically like one of those really cheap car amps where it says 1000 WATTS!!! but that's like total distorted output. Clean power is more like 50 watts. That's the experience I've had with the PV2600.

The Yorkville amps come with the best warranty so far that I've seen. 3 years unconditional. Option for another 3 year extended service contract. Pretty sweet. Sure they're a little bit more expensive, but I'd rather get a little less power and get a higher quality amp.

• Members

Wow... that's definitely not been my experience with that Peavey line! I'd advise taking it in for repair, personally.

One of the forumites here, SoundMan, works for Peavey. While I never see him giving product recommendations, maybe he could help troubleshoot your friend's amp!

Archived