EV T-18's vs Eliminators? Affordable sub's for a homegrown PA

• Members

I play in a local coverband and we supply a PA for 90% of our gigs (mostly small to mid-sized clubs). For a few years we have been using EV Eliminators, with a pair of JBL TR-125 tops. To power these we use two Crown CE2000 amps and a seperate amp for three monitors. We've decided to replace the weak links in this setup and we're starting with the sub's.

The Eliminators just don't have any omph. We mic everything, drums 2 guitars, keys, bass and vocals and the subs just don't carry. A local band is selling two EV T-18's subs and it's right where we can afford. ($700 for the pair). Any opinions on these subs?

• Members

Definitly go for the T-18's. That's a great price too. I played in a band where we use a pair with T251's for tops. They really thumped nicely, moved a lot more air than the Eliminators. We powered them with one side of an MX3000. The tops were biamped with the other side of the MX3000 and 1/2 of an MX1500.

pete

• Members

Ya,you'll definitely hear a difference going to the T18's. I was using a pair of the early models(the ones with the magnet inside the cab instead of having the speaker mounted with the magnet facing out) Also had a pair of these www.sonicspeaker.com/djx1800.htm Which are almost an exact copy,especially internally and had the same drivers in them. So we had two subs/side. However,a little over a year ago,I went to these instead www.sonicspeaker.com/18e.htm and gained a bit more output and also gained about 5-10hz of usable response on the low end. Of course,they should put out more,they are nearly 1 1/2 times larger. But they were only about $475 each new. I have 8 of them and really like them,especially at that price. But back to your question. They should have a noticeable increase in punch.

• Members

If you ever have to replace the speaker in a T-18, there were a couple of reports on the LAB where guys were using the Eminence Kilomax successfully (meaning it didn't fail easily like it tended to do in some other cabs.)

• Members
Originally posted by Kennykeys

If you ever have to replace the speaker in a T-18, there were a couple of reports on the LAB where guys were using the Eminence Kilomax successfully (meaning it didn't fail easily like it tended to do in some other cabs.)

Unless you try and pump them full of their 1250 watt RMS rating,eh?

Archived