Comparing two subs

• Members

The subs we are looking at are Cerwin Vega JE-36 and the EL-36. Both are basically the same sub. The only difference is the size of the cab. the JE is 36x24x24 I believe, and the EL is 36x24x36. The EL also goes as low as 30 hz. the JE only to 35. Are missing a lot of low end by not having those extra 5 hz on there? we were talking about going up to the EL, but if we can save $300 because its not much of a difference, then we wont.

• Members
Originally posted by Themetallikid

The subs we are looking at are Cerwin Vega JE-36 and the EL-36. Both are basically the same sub. The only difference is the size of the cab. the JE is 36x24x24 I believe, and the EL is 36x24x36. The EL also goes as low as 30 hz. the JE only to 35. Are missing a lot of low end by not having those extra 5 hz on there? we were talking about going up to the EL, but if we can save $300 because its not much of a difference, then we wont.

You can also save over both of them by going with a Sonic 18e,which is pretty much the same as the large Earthquake. Mine were $449 each.

• Members

With subs, the lower you go, the more amps/power/big boxes you'll need to reproduce those really low frequencies. Plus, the lower frequencies are more demanding of the driver itself. Remember that the fundamental frequency of most kick drums is around 60-80 hz. And, bass guitar sound is mostly made up of the upper harmonics, not the fundamental.

So, yeah, that 30-40hz range is really neat to hear/feel that extra-low oomph of sub-harmonic air, but it sure is expensive. Depending on the cabinet, common cut points for 18" subs often range from 30hz to 40 hz. Personally, I High Pass Filter my band's single 18 club subs at 45hz, and we still get PLENTY of sub kick. Yes, the kick does sound a little different when I compare it with a 20hz HPF, but it sounds OK to me at 45hz and I figure that I'm conserving amp power (and driver life) to be used where I really want it concentrated ( at 50-100hz.) I'll leave the under 40hz zone to the concert rigs.....let them muddy up some cow barn arena.

• Members

Originally posted by Kennykeys

I figure that I'm conserving amp power (and driver life) to be used where I really want it concentrated ( at 50-100hz.) I'll leave the under 40hz zone to the concert rigs.....let them muddy up some cow barn arena.

Agreed! and I too hate that muddy low mess at nearly all arena concerts I've been too.

Archived