Hmmmm... an altternative to the ever cranky vocal processor setup.

• Members

I play keyboards in a cover band on the weekends and we've been trying to implement vocal effects. Not for use in every song, just for big songs where fx would be expected. We own and manage our own full range PA so we are forced to control the fx not a soundguy. Against my recommendation our singer bought one of those 'toy" Digitech foot pedal Vocal processors and the results were disaterous. The presets were awful, the levels were inconsistent and feedback ensued. He ended up taking it back the store and we abandoned the idea.

Now I just had a thought... I use an independent mixer (Yamaha MG10/2) to send my keys to our main PA and my monitor.... what if I were to set up a mic channel through this mixer that our singer could use just during the parts that he would need delay or chorus. I could use an fx unit through the aux send/return on the mixer and trigger the fx's he needs for him... in effect acting as his sound guy. I'm thinking about trying this out with this little Alesis Nanoverb I have lying around. Of course the Alesis + the extra mixer might not provide a supreb vocal channel, but it's just for occasional shouts and phrases. It's better than cupping your had to your mouth and pretendng to fade out with delay.:rolleyes:

Is this logical? Has anyone tried this?

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Why go to all the trouble? Why not just use a processor the normal way and hit the bypass when you don't want effects? And a lot of processors allow for a footswitch for bypassing,if not for changing presets as well.

True.... however the only quality fx units that offer true bypassing seem to be in the $500+ range. The TC Helicon Voice Live is nice... but $800

I can tell you from experience.... DigiCrap VX300 + Sennheiser Wireless Mic= mud

This isn't any trouble at all... I have all of the gear here already, just sitting collecting dust. And the Nano verb couldn't be easier to use. Just 3 knobs, no display.

• Members
Originally posted by wheresgrant3

True.... however the only quality fx units that offer true bypassing seem to be in the $500+ range. The TC Helicon Voice Live is nice... but $800

I can tell you from experience.... DigiCrap VX300 + Sennheiser Wireless Mic= mud

This isn't any trouble at all... I have all of the gear here already, just sitting collecting dust. And the Nano verb couldn't be easier to use. Just 3 knobs, no display.

The Digitech S-100 and S-200 are very decent sounding units(far better than a Nanoverb) and offer this. Plus you can use their 3-button footswitch to bypass and to go up or down to other presets. And I agree,those personal floor processors sound horrid,at least the ones I've heard.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

The Digitech S-100 and S-200 are very decent sounding units(far better than a Nanoverb) and offer this. Plus you can use their 3-button footswitch to bypass and to go up or down to other presets. And I agree,those personal floor processors sound horrid,at least the ones I've heard.

Thanks for the suggestion. The S100 looks pretty good. Pretty cheap too. The $150 range. I know the Alesis won't sound good. I was just going to test the setup with it.

Archived