Well, My Compressor Just Croaked......

• Members

After 10 years, My DOD 866 finally called it quits today.

Actually, it compresses, but the only the gate contour functions.

The contours are dead on the Attack, Release, Threshold, Ratio, Input, and, Output. However the gate is still going strong. :D

It sounds like the compressor is stuck in default? :confused:

So, guys I need a new compressor. I haven't bought a compressor in over 10 years. What do you recomend.

My budget is $750.00

• Moderators

Originally posted by OMNIFEX

After 10 years, My DOD 866 finally called it quits today.

Actually, it compresses, but the only the gate contour functions.

The contours are dead on the Attack, Release, Threshold, Ratio, Input, and, Output. However the gate is still going strong.
:D

It sounds like the compressor is stuck in default?
:confused:

So, guys I need a new compressor. I haven't bought a compressor in over 10 years. What do you recomend.

My budget is $750.00

You're in luck!

I'll sell you my old Fostex stereo comp for $75 and I'll even throw in shipping. It should have about the same sound quality as your DOD, especially if you run the Fostex through the dishwasher a few times first.

And you'll have $675 left over in your budget to pick up some additional fine gear like my Tascam 4 band four channel rack mount parametric EQ and Digitech Studio Vocalist EX.

What a deal!

:D

Terry D.

• Members

Hi, from reading the post, it seems like Omniflex wants to spend up to $750 for 2 channels of compression.

I hope he didn't mean $75!:D

If he's willing to spend that much for a 2-channel compressor, the Drawmer and BSS stuff is IMHO the way to go.

If it's just a 'simple' upgrade from a DOD, then I would agree that at LEAST a 166XL or even better, a 1066, will be more suitable.

Thanks.

• Members

Okay :D

Let me clear a few things up.

When I bought the DOD, I didn't know any better. I know better, thats why I'm willing to pay up to $750.00 on a compressor.

(Okay Mr. Knobs :D )

It will be used for bass only. Not the overall mix.

Gates is a must. Bass And Gates Go hand And Hand ;)

I can't rely on the DOD's gates. They may fail as well.

No Parametrics. (I have plenty of Parametrics) Just a

compressor with the usual features;

Attack

Release

Threshold

Ratio

Input

Output

Gate

I just want to pull out the DOD, insert the new

compressor, set it, and, forget about it.

So far I'm eyeing DBX 1066, Drawmer DL 241, and anything

else you guys can come up with.

If you guys feel this is overkill for just bass, I'll just pick

up the 166XL.

Thanks.

• Members

$750 for a comp gives you lots of room for choices.

For our higher-end comps, we went with the Drawmer DL241 and DL251. Bought them both used in mint shape for around $400 each off Ebay. If you watch long enough, you can find some good deals. All Drawmers have a date code on the rear of the unit next to the serial number so you can tell how old it is. I always request the date code information from the seller before bidding.

We also have some dbx 1066's in the rack which do the job as well.

But the Drawmer's are nice, REALLY nice. I also tryed to find some BSS comps, but could never find a good deal on one and I wasn't going to buy one new. :eek:

Archived