JBL TR225 - how do I get inside?

• Members

Yes. Yes. I know. It is junk. But, it is all I have for now. I blew a woofer in one of them, and high end driver in the other. I need to replace them. But, I can't figure out how to get inside the cabinet.

Any one have an idea?

Thanks,

Gary

• Members
Originally posted by GT

Yes. Yes. I know. It is junk. But, it is all I have for now. I blew a woofer in one of them, and high end driver in the other. I need to replace them. But, I can't figure out how to get inside the cabinet.

Any one have an idea?

Thanks,

Gary

Take the grill off.

• Members

Originally posted by GT

I blew a woofer in one of them, and high end driver in the other But, I can't figure out how to get inside the cabinet.

Glad I'm not the only wise-ass around here.

GT, remove the grill, then remove the screws holding the woofer. Carefully lift the driver up a little bit until you can disconnect the two wires that attach at the driver terminals (there will be either two spade connectors that you just pull off, or, since it is a JBL, probably two spring loaded terminals - push the red button and pull out the wire, push the black button and pull out the wire.) Make sure to note if the red wire does indeed connect to the red terminal. Then just lift out the woofer.

The high frequency driver (not "high end", especially in this case) is similar. Remove the screws holding the horn flair itself. Lift it a bit and disconnect the wires. You'll probably have to reach in and unscrew the driver from the horn before you can get the driver out through the hole in the baffle (the speaker mounting board.) The driver itself literally screws into the horn flair (unless it's a bolt on....not sure.)

Or, better yet, you can probably reach the horn driver from the empty hole where the woofer was.

It's real simple once you've done it.

BTW, be prepared to pay dearly for the JBL diaphragm and recone. IMO, it is an especially high ratio considering the relative low cost of their lower shelf speakers.

Archived