Live Sound listings in the Yellow Pages?

• Members

For those of you that have official live sound businesses, do you list your business in the yellow pages, and if so, under what heading? I have not been able to find any listings in our area. I am considering becoming full time and official in a few years, and want to start evaluating what competition I would have, and to evaluate whether or not there might be a niche in the market that they are not covering. But first I have to find out who the players are.

If not the yellow pages, what other methods do you use for advertising your company?

• Members

In my area it's listed as "Sound Systems and Equipment.- DLRS. & SVCE."

But that doesn't tell me much. My area is pretty small, so there's only about 20 or so listings in the category, and it goes from electronics stores and music stores, that do nothing but sell or rent stuff, all the way up to the only company in town with "national" rigs. So it's hard to tell what's what.

You could always do what I did. Go see a bunch of shows, find out who's providing the sound, and talk to them. I was in a rut, so I went and talked to a company that does everything in Sioux City, and now I get referrals from them when I'm too busy. In a sense, I work for somebody else with my rig, but I don't really get paid any less than usual, and I get more gigs because of it.

• Members

There are several permits you MAY need.

Sales Tax permit for collecting sales tax and submitting forms even if you are not required to collect sales tax. Not all states have sales tax.

Unsecured Property Tax A "permit" of types, allowing you to do business in a particular county, and requires you to pay a tax on equipment used in your business. You pay this every year, and it's a % of the value of your equipment.]

City Business Permit Basic business license fee and paperwork.

Fire Inspection Permit Generally required if your business is located on commercial property, provides for an annual inspection (for a fee of course) of your business premesis. You may not be able to get property damage insurance without this.

County Business Permit Some counties require a business permit in addition to what a city may require, or if you are located outside city jurisdiction.

Alarm Permit Most Police departments require any centrally monitored burglar alarm systems to be permitted (again, for a fee of course) before they can call into the police for response when the alarm trips.

State Licenses Some states require that you maintain a contractor's license depending on the scope of your work.

Employment Permits Several permits related to collecting, deducting and paying of payroll taxes and fees.

Since I am located in CA, I imagine that I see more stringent requirements, but RickJ lives in NY and I would imagine that it's just as tough there. It IS a pain!:mad:

Archived