Drummers back line gear

• Members

I am curious as to what you or your drummers use for monitors. I feel like I need more and don't know where I fall. Currently a 5 pc., play 75-150 person venues, and I use a Peavey TLM5 Monitor. I would love to have a sub and a main stacked next to me, but I may have to settle for another TLM5. I would like to hear a little more bass and kick. What do you use?

Keith

• Members

Since I just got new mains I use one of my old Carvin 2x15s as a drum monitor. The height of it puts the horn right at the drummers ear level when he's sitting so he gets the highs pretty directly. I throw a bit of kick and bass through the speaker, and I've gotten some good reviews from drummers the past few shows. A 2x15 will work as a cheap solution. It will need some EQ though.

There was a post on here a while back that had a link to an article about inverting the phase of the kick drum signal to eliminate cancellation between the monitor and the kick drum. After reading it I made a cable with one end wired backwards to invert the phase and prevent cancellation. I don't remember which thread had that article, maybe someone else can point you in the right direction.

Good luck.

• Members

Old drummer with a fully electronic set used to use a Peavey keyboard amp, but couldn't hear his vocals clearly. I put him on a generic wedge loaded with an EV12L and 1" horn, which helped his vocals tremendously, but he lost some of the lows off his kick. I added in an EV 200b 12" sub and he was quite happy.

Current drummer with a fully acoustic kit just uses a 12" wedge for vocals and instruments. He is behind a plexiglass barrier so he hears his drums just fine.

Archived