Wireless Headset Mic

• Members

Originally posted by Bajazz

I use the Countryman Isomax E6 earset. Very satisfied! Almost invisible, did some DV-recording of one of my sessions, don't see the mic.

I looked at that one, but it seems for a full rock band, even the directional model, it's too likely to get feedback. That's also the impression I got here when I asked as well. I've heard it sounds great though, and is very very tiny...

• Members

Originally posted by tremendo

I looked at that one, but it seems for a full rock band, even the directional model, it's too likely to get feedback. That's also the impression I got here when I asked as well. I've heard it sounds great though, and is very very tiny...

Agreed

• Members

I'm don't think any of the theatrical type headset mics would work well in a rock band situation. I have DPA 4066's that we use in musical productions and they work and sound great, but standing in the middle of amps and drums would be a different story. They have no noise cancelling properties like the Crown CM311 and to me are just not designed for that application. IMO the Crown would be the best bet...

• Members
Originally posted by tremendo

I thought it would feed eaily too, but were surprised how well it did, even when sitting behind FOH as monitors...

• Members

I've had good luck with the Samson Airline headset mic. It may not have as good inherent tone overall as some of the more expensive sets but it has good sound rejection and with a little eq'ing it sounds quite good.

• Members

Originally posted by madjack

I've had good luck with the Samson Airline headset mic. It may not have as good inherent tone overall as some of the more expensive sets but it has good sound rejection and with a little eq'ing it sounds quite good.

I used the Samson Airline mic for the last four years for backup vocals in a band. Even the QV (vocal) model (as opposed to the QE exercise model) doesn't really have the range needed as a true vocal mic. Although we run our own sound, some of our larger gigs used a sound company and the FOH tech would always shake his head when soundchecking these mics. They were really designed with aerobics and dance instructors in mind, where vocal range is limited to the spoken word. In my experience, you can squeak by with these headsets for backup vocals but definitely NOT for lead vocals.

As a performer, they can't be beat. No body pack, no wires and the battery (one AAA) lasts a long time. If they had a better quality one I would buy it in a heartbeat. But alas, they do not, so with our new project coming up we've decided to go back to the dynamic-mic-on-a-stand route.

The Airline served me well, but the tonal quality was finally its undoing.

• Members

Never tried the AKG C444, I am generally happy enough with the AKG C420 for a solo act. The Crown CM-311 does not work for me because of lower comfort and higher weight (2.1 oz vs. 1.1 oz) I wish it did :( What's wrong with the AKG C444 for lead vocals?

Archived