adding more speakers adding more db's ?

• Members

I wanted to know about adding more speakers to the mid/hi's how much more gain of decibles would I get ? I running a 2/way crossover with mono subs, stero mid/hi's. The mid/hi's are running at 8 ohms and if I daisy chained the 12" 2/way I would have a 4ohm load on the amp=300 watts per side. I've heard more speakers more air = more sound. I bought some 12" 2/way at a price to good to turn down and was thinking about adding them on.:rolleyes:

• Members

You may expect around a 3dB (MAXIMUM) increase due to increased power, but you are unlikely to see much gain due to coupling or pattern alteration. Depending on the new speakers, and their efficiency, you could experience considerably less though, plus it may sound worse due to unintentional interactions.

You generally want to select identical speakers if this is what you are trying to do.

Guest Anonymous

Tommy:

Sound is a bit like stew. You don't necessarly want to throw just any ole thing into the pot, just to fill up the pot. You've got to be fairly careful what you add.

If a stack a side ain't doing it... from a sheer SPL standpoint... you need to step back and rethink things... in a macro way. Don't focus on the trees, but rather try to take in a vista of the whole forest. If the stacks and power you currently have are insufficent, piling up twice as much (or 4 time, or 8 times) is a lot more work and money for possibly very disappointing results. You might be waaayyyy better off with one (1) set of decent rack and stacks than a whole slong pile of mismatched lackluster preforming stuff. You can nickle and dime yourself into an audiopile that's really awful. You're seemingly headed down the path of a real nightmare (speaking from experience here).

There's a lot of SR cabinets on the market that sound "ok" as a solo act... but where never designed to be arrayed. It's bad enough trying to make matching cabinets work together that weren't designed to work in multiples. You're starting to wander into the realm where $2K+ cabinets start to make sense. You'll quickly find out that one good $2K cabinet can out perform 10 ea. $200 cabinets.

It's possibly better if you go at this math problem backward: Identify the end result first, then work backward at developing the best solution to realize the end result, rather than blindly adding stuff to the solution until the end result is realized (or not).

Upon reflection, this: Forest or the trees compairison is pretty good. I remember being a kid and getting bad lost in the North Idaho wilderness. I didn't have a "view" of the forest I was lost in. I plowed endlessly along without a plan, besides taking the path of least resistance for the short term... focusing solely on the trees, brush, and other obstacles immediately in-front of me. Fortunately... after about 6 or 8 hours of stumble-bumming and crashing through the woods... I literally fell on a road... and followed the road up to a spot where I could get my bearings... and in about 20 minutes I was back at camp.

• Members

Thanks for the advice I'm really glad to know there's sound adivce from the pro's who know's the do's and don't's. I just got'em for almost nothing but wanted to know more about adding them on for that wall of sound that everybody want's. Sounds like they will probally add more problems then what they're worth. Besides lugging them around to, and I appreciate all the input everyone has put in I've relly learned so much since I started on this forum.

Archived