Adding subs for an outdoor show

• Members

Our four piece R-n-R band typically plays smaller clubs, and we use two MP418 subs, each powered by one side of a QSC RMX 1850HD (600 watts per side, as those are 4 ohm subs).

We are doing an outdoor show this weekend, and want to add two more MP 418 subs.

Question: any problem with running two of the subs in parallel off each side of the RMX 1850? That would be a 2 ohm load, which would mean that each sub would get 900 watts, right?

I understand that the 1850HD should be fine with a 2 ohm load, but very warm weather (90's) is forecast -- any reason to worry about running the 1850 at 2 ohms for a four-hour show in that kind of weather?

Any huge risks with putting 900 watts into those boxes (per Agedhorse's recommendation, we have been running them at 600 watts). We will have our normal sound guy, who is fairly knowledgeable, and pretty cautious.

Thanks.

• Members
Originally posted by jlindquist

Our four piece R-n-R band typically plays smaller clubs, and we use two MP418 subs, each powered by one side of a QSC RMX 1850HD (600 watts per side, as those are 4 ohm subs).

We are doing an outdoor show this weekend, and want to add two more MP 418 subs.

Question: any problem with running two of the subs in parallel off each side of the RMX 1850? That would be a 2 ohm load, which would mean that each sub would get 900 watts, right?

I understand that the 1850HD should be fine with a 2 ohm load, but very warm weather (90's) is forecast -- any reason to worry about running the 1850 at 2 ohms for a four-hour show in that kind of weather?

Any huge risks with putting 900 watts into those boxes (per Agedhorse's recommendation, we have been running them at 600 watts). We will have our normal sound guy, who is fairly knowledgeable, and pretty cautious.

Thanks.

Actually,that would be 900 watts per channel,meaning 450 watts per speaker. Should be fine running that amp at 2 ohms/channel. It was made specifically for that. I've run my PLX's at 2 ohms/channel on subs in hot weather and have never had any problems.

Archived