Mixing 15" subs with 18" subs?

• Members

Hello knowledgeable HC live sound forum peoples.

I have two front loaded 18" subs (ported, reflex design?)

Would it be bad/good to add two 15" subs to use with the 18"s, one of each on boths sides?

They would both be on the same amp & crossover frequency. Or should I get two more 18" cabs?

thanks ! :)

• Members

You should get two more 18's if possible.

If you already have these 15" subs, you might try putting the 15's on one side stacked and the 18's on the other side....not sure if it would look funny or have phase issues, but could be worth a try!

• Members

Is this a one'sy or permanent?

Every piece of gear has it's own set of problems. The more pieces you use ... the more problems you'll have to deal with. If all is the same you only have to deal with it once.

That said, this isn't rocket science. Plug it in and if you're happy, I'm happy :D ... just please check the polarity of everything. Some manufacturers aren't even consistant between their own products let alone if you mix brands.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Try to get more of what you already have.

Ok, what if I found ones that are very close to the same dimensions as the ones I have now, but a different driver. Same cab set up, front loaded 1-18" ported (I think this is bass reflex?)

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

But are they measured the same way?

If the 100dB models are indeed more efficient, it this a planned upgrade path, with the liklihood that you would sell the others and get another matching pair of the new ones?

no, I had not planned to do that, I guess you're saying that I should eh?

• Members

This is pete typing while he's drunk here but I have to say this:

WTF? Are you the kind of person who won't walk outside if the umbrella and coat don't match? WHO CARES! It's below 100hz and it's not corporate so pile them up and feed them no more than 600w ea driver. Comb filter and all that crap just deal with it using a good dual 31 band eq. God do we really care what you use? Think about all the other soundpeople who use crap we know sounds bad who don't post here. You actually give a crap and post here. So do the gig and don't tell anyone at the gig about the dilemma while you're there.

simple right?

p

Archived