Guy in crowd suggests: "I've been playing in bands for over 20 years...

• Members

Not sure if you are asking whether you are looking for confirmation you were not rude. (You could have been, depending on your tone of voice.)

Alternate response: Different people have different preferences for tonal balance. Thanks for your input.

That said, I can't tell you how many people DJs as well as bands, do in fact have awful balance of sound. Too much bass. No treble or ear-slitting sizzle. Sometimes I get a chance to look at their EQ. The bands often look like a chart of the stock market recently. I don't know what they're using to choose how to EQ a room but my guess is that, unless you have real objective reason to set EQ different than simply flat, flat is better.

• Members

I've been eating hot dogs for over 40 years and this one needs more mustard. It's all about taste and preference. In a club, you shoot to please as many as possible understanding you'll have some fringe dwellers who want gut wrenching bass or bright piercing treble.....me I'll take extra low end!

• Members

You could reply with, "If I want your opinion I'll beat it out of you."

Or

"Say, aren't you the lead guitarist from Mike Miller's band?"

Or

"Treble? I've been looking all over my console for the treble knob. I guess it doesn't have one!"

Or

"I'm donating my treble frequencies to the Katrina relief fund."

Or

"Twenty years, huh? You must have gotten high a lot!"

• Members

Personally,I've found that in these situations,the bigger of a "hack that doesn't know anything" the person is,the more likely they are to start waxing poetically about their skilz. I personally try to just ignore or brush these types off. I'd certainly never do anything like that unless it was asked of me,or I knew the band well enough to feel comfortable expressing my opinion,or if there was something noticeable that might cause equipment harm,such as a subwoofer bumping on its stops or sounding like it was over-excurting.

• Members

Originally posted by GCDEF

Perhaps he was right.

I was not on stage, I was in a good position all night running the sound.

This guy obviously had too many cymbals smashed in his ears for too many years.

Honestly, I would never "boost the treble" very much. Instead I would try to cut some low mids or something.

I had to deal with a guy like this running a PA a few months ago, he was older and had "been in bands for over 20 years" ... he had the right side of the EQ arcing right up to the top of the sliders. Yeah, sounds great... :rolleyes:

there's a point to this thread... old guys who have been in a lot of "bar bands" usually have nothing left to their top end hearing.

• Members
Originally posted by RoboPimp

I was not on stage, I was in a good position all night running the sound.

This guy obviously had too many cymbals smashed in his ears for too many years.

Honestly, I would never "boost the treble" very much. Instead I would try to cut some low mids or something.

I had to deal with a guy like this running a PA a few months ago, he was older and had "been in bands for over 20 years" ... he had the right side of the EQ arcing right up to the top of the sliders. Yeah, sounds great...
:rolleyes:

there's a point to this thread... old guys who have been in a lot of "bar bands" usually have nothing left to their top end hearing.

I'd substitute usually for maybe. You really don't know. What speakers are you using? What I've seen out of older geezers sometimes(I'm only 46:cool: ) is that they grew up with the old cloth diaphragm drivers (that roll off at 5K or below)with no assistance above that,and they got so used to that tone that when newer extended range stuff started coming out,they would cut down all those new top frequencies so that it sounded "right".

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

I'd substitute usually for maybe. You really don't know. What speakers are you using? What I've seen out of older geezers sometimes(I'm only 46:cool: ) is that they grew up with the old cloth diaphragm drivers (that roll off at 5K or below)with no assistance above that,and they got so used to that tone that when newer extended range stuff started coming out,they would cut down all those new top frequencies so that it sounded "right".

I ran into a guy like that earlier this summer. This guy comes up to me and tells me that he's been in bands a long time and that he knows good sound when he hears it. The guy was complaining that the sound was too bright. I wasn't actually running the sound at that moment though, we were doing a gig with a national country act and his guy was running sound with a pair of Yamaha O1v mixers and his own FOH processing (KT EQ and an RTA setup). To me it sounded awesome, nice and clear and balanced, great low end beefy mids and plenty of volume. I should say that this was with 8 EV MTL1X subs and 8 JBL 4732 mid/high packs. The guy went on telling me how soundguys these days don't know how to mix and that when he went to shows there was always too much high end, not like they had when he started out. He went on to complain about how CD's were the same way. I pretty much figured it out right then, he wanted the live sound to sound like the music he was used to on vinyl or cassette.

• Members
Originally posted by ATOMICDOG1

I ran into a guy like that earlier this summer. This guy comes up to me and tells me that he's been in bands a long time and that he knows good sound when he hears it. The guy was complaining that the sound was too bright. I wasn't actually running the sound at that moment though, we were doing a gig with a national country act and his guy was running sound with a pair of Yamaha O1v mixers and his own FOH processing (KT EQ and an RTA setup). To me it sounded awesome, nice and clear and balanced, great low end beefy mids and plenty of volume. I should say that this was with 8 EV MTL1X subs and 8 JBL 4732 mid/high packs. The guy went on telling me how soundguys these days don't know how to mix and that when he went to shows there was always too much high end, not like they had when he started out. He went on to complain about how CD's were the same way. I pretty much figured it out right then, he wanted the live sound to sound like the music he was used to on vinyl or cassette.

Does your processor have that "dragging 8-track" effect built into it? BTW,I saw your little gurl Amanda the other night.

• Members

Originally posted by tlbonehead

Does your processor have that "dragging 8-track" effect built into it? BTW,I saw your little gurl Amanda the other night.

lol, or maybe a sample of that great CHA CHUNK sound that you would get as the tape switched sides in the middle of a song? lol

I got a call from her one night this last weekend, I was in the middle of a gig so I didn't answer the phone.... Damn, that reminds me, I have to call her back. Shes doing the audio engineer thing at a TV station in Sioux Falls these days. That doesn't sound like all that much fun to me.

• Members

High end hearing loss...I went to a tiny restaurant/bar last sunday. Had some small Yamaha club speakers for mains and no monitors. These things killed! In a bad way. WAY too much treble. Don't know how some people stood 1 foot in front of them and danced! Don't know how they kept them from feeding back either. Obviously no sound tech and mixing from side of stage. The treble could have carried for miles.

Johnny

• Members

I'm 36, been in bands for 21 years, so does that make me one of those old geezers :o

At my work place, I go easy on the high end of the spectrum. I try to make sure everything is balanced and sounds "right" in my best judgement. No ghetto boom bass or ear drum liquifying uber highs. No one has complained in the 3 years I have been there and I have not blown a horn (or any driver for that matter) yet *knock on wood*

When I go out to other places, I do notice things I don't like about the way the other sound systems are equalized. I just put up with it and hold my tongue. I don't know, call it professional courtesy. It's their place and their sound system, let them run it the way they see fit. It's all a matter of personal taste and preferrence. If the sound quality is unbearable, I just leave.

V.

• Members

I'm 36, been in bands for 21 years, so does that make me one of those old geezers

No you've got at least another 10 years to go. :D

Being harangued by the punters is an occupational hazard of mixing in small/medium sized venues. Too loud, too quiet, can

Archived