Guy in crowd suggests: "I've been playing in bands for over 20 years...

• Members

This problem must be endemic!

I had a very similar experience last week at a gig.

We were a little late setting up and at the end of our 1st soundcheck where we experienced a few little probs with feedback this young guy starts shouting that the monitor is facing my guitar cab and this was what was causing the problem.

Now i had a pretty good idea that our problems had been caused by one of two things and they were volume and FOH speaker positioning so i adjusted as we did the next song and sure enough things were better.

The guy comes up at the end of the song and starts going on about the monitor positioning and that my "guitar sound was too harsh" so i should "add more top on the mixer" :confused:

He pointed out that he was on Sound engineering degree course and that he was a "real pro" who had worked with some of the "best in the business".

I asked him his age,18 he said i said i had been gigging for over 20 years and i didn't have a problem with him sharing some advice but there is a way to do it and not to do it and he had chosen the way not to do it,to which he replied "we'll you're only amateurs you're only a pub band to which i smiled pleasantly :mad:

Anyway the moral of the story is DO NOT BITE when the punters open their cakeholes as only misery results.

I have gigged for years and normally just smile when people shout stuff out but for some unknown reason this time i took the guy on and it really pissed me off the rest of the gig!

Another technique i have thought about using is announcing over the microphone that we are having a few technical problems but not to worry as we have a real "technical wiz" in the audience that is going to sort things out for us but this approach may be a little risky.

• Members

Originally posted by Rbts

One guy once talked about keeping a dummy fader... with a taped on dunce cap pictured on it for moving at times such as these?

That's referred to in professional circles as "touch the knob and smile". This technique is also heavily employed in monitor mixing.

:D

• Members

I'm VERY polite the first time I get advice on my system from a drunken audience member.

I'm speak very directly the second time I get advice from that same drunken audience member.

The third time I get advice from that same guy usually ends with me using the old line, "Hey, I don't come down to where you work and slap the d**k out of your mouth! So how about drinking a nice, big, tall glass of 'shut the f**k up'!"

That guys only been in music 20 yrs? What a newbie!

• Members

Originally posted by J the D

I learned the hard way that the other side of that is when your friend the sound tech asks you what you think about his mix DO NOT tell him the truth. The only answer that he is willing to accept is, "Great!" even if its not.

When this happens I start tweaking his eq and fixing the mix, dont say anything.

Archived