I'm not happy with the sound from my monitors!

• Members

I'm using a Samson XM910 900w powered mixer into 2 Peavey PR12 mains and 1 Peavey PR12 monitor. I'm singing into a PG58 mic.

I'm having trouble getting the right sound out of my monitor for my vocals. Strangely, the sound is louder and slightly clearer out the mains.

Do you blame the mixer, speaker, mic, or the EQ on the mixer? Should I EQ the monitor different from the mains? Is it because I only have 1 monitor and 2 mains? Should I have any reverb on the monitor?

Any tips?

• Members

1 - If you like the sound out of the mains better than the monitor then try EQing the monitor similarly, to start anyway.

2 - To determine if it's the monitor speaker, set it all up and replace one of the mains with the monitor and listen. Does is sound the same or worse.

3 - As with #2, replace a monitor with a main and listen. Does it sound different.

4 - If possible lose the reverb in the monitor. Yes, it will sound dry and possible "not as good", that is until you get everyone playing full tilt on stage, then you may find an improvement because you'll cut through better so you'll hear yourself clearer. This may allow you to turn down your monitor which could further help it sound better (depending on the headroom you have now).

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Parallex

why is "slightly clearer" a problem? Where I come clear sound is a good thing.

If you don't like the louder volume the aux master is a fix for this....

You just misread; he wrote that the mains were louder and clearer than the monitor.

Assuming the mains are in parallel on one channel of the mixer, and the monitor is alone on the other, it's normal for the mains to be slightly louder, as they're a 4 ohm total load which increases that channel's output power, and it's going to two speakers, which will very slightly increase volume, more so will increase coverage in the room.

Compare apples to apples: Eq main and monitor the same, and then listen to hear if everything is the same. If it's different, move the monitor speaker to the same location as one of the mains and determine whether speaker placement is the issue. It shouldn't make much if any difference, but this depends on the room.

My guess is that the EQ in the Samson is like most you'll find in small powered mixers....not so very good, and that your adjustments might be too extreme in order to control feedback in the monitor, cause phasing problems at various frequencies that makes the monitor sound weird.

• Members
Originally posted by skier4467

Any EQ tips? I've got a baritone bluesy voice.

Well,if you like the tone of the mains,why not set your EQ similarly for the monitor as long as feedback doesn't have a bearing on that setting. And ordinarily,adding effects to the monitors is kind of a rookie thing,IMO.

Archived