New EMX Yamaha mixers...too light??

• Members

I used a 312SC to push two JBL MR 15" 3-ways and ran a pair of cheapo Peavey 12's for mons...sounded decent...not super, but decent... but I could use more "umph" which would be the 512SC.

I love the fact that these things are small and weigh only about 16 pounds (I'm SO TIRED of setting up and breaking down) but that's what I'm worried about: How could something that this light really push out 350W/side at 8ohms???? My QSC 1450 is triple that (lbs).

Thanks guys..u r the best.

• CMS Author

One of the engineers that posts here had tested and commented on the capabilities of these or similar Yamaha powered mixers. In one case he found the mixer could do the rated.....for about 5 seconds before going up in smoke. Note that some of Yamaha's specs show "Maximum" output power, whatever that is. The rest of their specs are impressive if you have no idea what to look for, confusing or useless if you do. In other words, half made-up bull{censored}:

"Maximum Output Power @ 0.5 % THD at 1 kHz:

500 W/4 ohms

350 W/8 ohms (UA)

320 W/8 ohms (H)

Frequency Response : -3, 0, 1 dB

20 Hz-20 kHz, ref to the nominal output level @ 1 kHz

Total Harmonic Distortion: Less than 0.5 % (THD+N)

+14 dB @ 20 Hz, 1 kHz, 20 kHz, GAIN control: all nominal

Hum & Noise: Equivalent Input Noise, -115 dBu, Rs = 150 ohms CH 1-4 MIC/LINE: MIC

Crosstalk @ 1 kHz: -65 dB"

Show me "Continuous minimum RMS power, from 20-20,000Hz, @

• Members

Almost too good to be true that I can haul around this much power in a board that weighs under 20 lbs.

Aged - What is Class D and SMPS? Do you mean correctly implemented in the design of the unit itself or the sound setup (speakers, etc)?

Not to be a pest, but how would the MR935's be a limiting factor?IIRC, they are rated @ 350W continuous and 1000 peak.

I'd like to understand before I plink down 500 clams on this baby. Thanks again for all of your time...

BTW - I'm open for other suggestions on powered mixers.

• Members

Originally posted by pktaskes

Almost too good to be true that I can haul around this much power in a board that weighs under 20 lbs

It is true, and it works well when properly executed.

Aged - What is Class D and SMPS? Do you mean correctly implemented in the design of the unit itself or the sound setup (speakers, etc)?

Class D is an amplifier topology that uses level shifting of a PWM signal and then reconstructs that larger PWM signal into an analog output via power low pass filtering. Tricky and difficult to do well. SMPS is a Switch Mode Power Supply, a supply that shifts the AC line frequency up from 60Hz to about 45-250kHz with a corresponding reduction in the size of the resultant transformer. At high power levels, it can take a 50 lb transformer and replace it with one that weighs 4 lbs. Quite a savings. Again, tricky to do well.

Not to be a pest, but how would the MR935's be a limiting factor?IIRC, they are rated @ 350W continuous and 1000 peak.

Power ratings mean almost nothing, a light bulb can dissipate 1000 watts and costs about $20.00 but that doesn't make it a good speaker. Efficiency and sound quality are also very important parameters of a speaker. My experience w/ the MR's is poor... similar to the SF's and JRX series... but they ARE cheap speakers. Look at the better JBL models and you will find much better performance though a bit more expensive.

I'd like to understand before I plink down 500 clams on this baby. Thanks again for all of your time...

Better doing this first, rather than ending up with second regrets.

• Members

Originally posted by SoundMan

Just for the record, it doesn't have Class D amps. They are class A/B in the small one, and H in the bigger ones.

SoundMan

Good to know Jim. I was referring to the general technologies in my post, but I also recall that Yamaha was introducing some class D technology in their mid level product line. Do you know which products they have used class D in? If anybody can do this well, Yamaha certainly has the resources and the technology in-house.

I am surprised Peavey hasn't done a class D/SMPS product in the larger mixer-amps as well.

• Members

Here was Yamaha's answer:

How can this mixer supply 350 watts of power per side and weigh in at only ~20 pounds?

What kind a warranty does it carry?

Thanks...

HI -weight reduction is due to a switching power supply which greatly reduces weight by eliminateing big iron transformers ---warranty is 1 year parts and labor --hope this helps --EB

Yamaha Customer Support

ycasupport@yamaha.com

714-522-9000

• CMS Author

Originally posted by pktaskes

Here was Yamaha's answer:

How can this mixer supply 350 watts of power per side and weigh in at only ~20 pounds?

What kind a warranty does it carry?

Thanks...

HI -weight reduction is due to a switching power supply which greatly reduces weight by eliminateing big iron transformers ---warranty is 1 year parts and labor --hope this helps --EB

Yamaha Customer Support

ycasupport@yamaha.com

714-522-9000

While you've got their ear, ask if they can tell you what the power rating is using the spec example I wrote earlier. My guess is 100w or less.

Archived