Shorted vocal monitor, replacement speaker?

• Members

I've been digging some old gear out and trying to fix a few things... i have a pos 8" vocal monitor that i think worked fine when i put it away, but now she wont work, the ohmeter read shorted when it was wired up so i took it apart and even the speaker reads shorted w/o being hooked up... is it just trash? any ideas?

thanks

• Members

Wait... how good of a meter did you use? A typical voice coil's DC resistance will be on the order of 5 ohms, so if you are using a poor quality meter, it will look like a short if the meter can't resolve low DC resistances (or you use the wrong manual scale selection).

If it is indeed shorted, it's trash.

• Members

Thanks for the posts, i figured, the meter i used should be more than sensitive enough to pick up on 4-9ohms and it got zip.

On replacement speakers, is there any one 10" speaker that would really be outstanding? I wanna use this as a vocal monitor for practice, so i may need to get it pretty loud and remain clear (i'll probably have up to 500watts to put through it, wont need that much power, but would like something with some decent power handling)... anyway, just wondering if there was one of those 'you have got to go with this one' speakers or if i should just use something cheap.

• Members

Originally posted by AlienLogik

Thanks for the posts, i figured, the meter i used should be more than sensitive enough to pick up on 4-9ohms and it got zip.

On replacement speakers, is there any one 10" speaker that would really be outstanding? I wanna use this as a vocal monitor for practice, so i may need to get it pretty loud and remain clear (i'll probably have up to 500watts to put through it, wont need that much power, but would like something with some decent power handling)... anyway, just wondering if there was one of those 'you have got to go with this one' speakers or if i should just use something cheap.

500 watts on a 10" driver is NOT common nor is your cheap cabinet likely to hold together for very long should you source a real pro driver of this calibre.

I've got a bunch of 8 ohm 10" Eminence OEM units available. e-mail me (agedhorse@aol.com) and I will get you a price/specs.

Archived