Mix Wiz basis question

• Members

One vocal each on channel one and two. Want to compress channel one and use a reverb effect on both channels.

Currently I insert the compressor on channel one, send both channels to subgroup one and insert the reverb there.

Since the Mix Wiz doesn't not have subgroups, what is the best method?

Currently using three aux sends for monitors. thank you.

and yes that would be basic rather than basis.

• Members

Well the easiest would be to use the built in reverb (aux 5 & 6 are for the built in effects). If you want to use an outboard you just hook it up to an aux send/return.

With both methods you use the aux on the channel strip to adjust the reverb level for that channel.

• Members

nope , you don't want to use the sub group.

You will want to use aux send 5or6. this way you can control the amount of reverb on each channel. turn up will make more verb, turn down you can turn it all the way off.

to hook it up you plug in to "aux send 5" on the back then go IN to the reverb, ... to get ti back in to the mixer I would sugest you use the farthest right(mono) channel on the mixer (16 if it the 16 ch version). then that fader will control the Volume level of the total verb, a Master contorl if you will.

please note also that there is a "measter send" level you will have to turn up to get the sound out of teh mixer. and also that you DON'T want to turn up the aux send on the channel that has the verb coming back in , cause then you end up with a bad loop.

please ask us if this doesn't make sense.

KEv.

• Members

On the MixWiz, the built-in effects can either be run in Single or Dual mode. Singles gives you one of 16 options, running off aux 5; Dual gives you 2 of 16 options (i.e. 1 from each group of 8), running off auxes 5 and 6.

Either way, the channel level is controlled by the channel's aux send(s); the master level going IN to the effects processor is controlled by the master aux sends on the right - this is how you control the mix between the two FX in dual mode as well - and the FX return is ST1, where you engage the 'FX to ST1' button on the top right. The FX level in the main mix is then controlled by the knob for ST1.

Hope this helps!

AS

• Members

thanks for the replies. I am starting to better appreciate simple after last friday's disaster. Good advice helps but I seem to learn best by screwing up in front of people.

Routing the effects to ST1 leaves an additional channel for a mic available, any disadvantage?

Was planning to use two channels of an old but clean sounding symetrix compressor and either a TC electronics m300 OR M1XL in a rack with the board. Would the effects quality offset the hassle?

So the setup would be: insert one compressor into channel one just to take the peaks off loud passages and send both vocals channels one and two thru aux 6 to the effects (internal or external) and return to ST1 or channel 16. Correct?

The bass player has a pod (no amp cabinet) with a 1/4 output which seems to sound better with compression. Would like to compress both it and the kick drum. Can I do this in aux 5? Or is it better to add another compressor to also inserting into the bass and kick separately?

The boys also have an old Valley Gatex (which the drummer wants to use for toms and possible kick and snare) and a dbx 1231 which they recently acquired but haven't used effectively yet. These could live in a separate rack and come along if appropriate for the venue, but mostly stay at home.

thanks again.

• CMS Author

In general, try not to add more than one new 'thing' to a rig at a time. Work the internal effects to the maximum use you can get. When and if it's time to move up or add to them, you'll know, and in the meantime you'll gain a better undersanding of the mixer and its capabilities, which will in turn make additions to the system that much easier to implement successfully. Only add something that you know for fact will improve the sound....establish the need first. Do not try to rationalize a need for something you just happen to have, no matter how sexy it might look in the rack.

• Members

AFAIK the onboard FX can't be returned anywhere except ST1. I could be wrong though.

Also, single mode uses Aux5 - using Aux 6 would mean you'd have to be in dual mode, giving you only 8 FX choices instead of 16.

AS

• Members

As a bass player I have tried the Bass pods in the studio and I have gotten decent results but with a lot of tweaking, I tried too use one live and gave up on it as the tone just never seemed too be consistant. I would reccomend getting a good DI unit from Aguilar or any other strictly bass preamp, and I think you will see your problem of getting a good bass sound go away.

• Members

Originally posted by julius_the_cat

makes sense. they run a mono system so the mono output to the crossover would be useful.

the priority is decent vocals, but the pod simlulator output for bass guitar has to run through the PA too. any basic suggestions to improve its quality?

for teh pod, I seem to remeber that the tone changed considerable with teh gain of teh preamp, and output, .. I seem to remeber that it sounded pretty good, but -slightly- overdriving teh preamp, but turning it down with teh output. try it see if it works.. 50/50 on that one.

Also I assume you PA is BIG!!! with subs on each side? if not then your DON'T what to put bass in ot it, all your going to do is fry the woofers in your speakers.... kinda like asking a civic to tow a semi trailer. -- it will work for a few mins...

• Members

Since no one else touched on it I will.

Running the drums and bass guitar into the same compressor would not give good results. The difference in gain from one imput to the other would mean as one signal triggered the gain reduction both signals would be reduced. That would just not work well and could possibly sound terrible.

Archived