Wiring insert leads using all TRS jacks

• Members

OK, so I've gotta build some insert leads (the standard TRS > 2xTS type), but all I've got is TRS jacks and balanced cable.

As I see it, I have two options:

- ignore the rings completely - i.e. leave them floating; OR

- tie the rings to ground

Which is better?

AS

• Members

Oh so many conflicting answers.:eek:

What ever is a sound man to do?

You need to know what outboard gear you are trying to interface with. If the output of the gear is balanced TRS the manual will tell you how to interface it with an unbalanced insert point. Not all gear interfaces the same way. If the output of the gear is unbalanced TS than ground the ring. If it is balanced TRS then follow the instructions.

9 times out of 10 you will ground the ring on a TRS Balanced output. I do not recomend you guess. Look it up.:wave:

• Members

It's not for me, it's a church project... they bought a big box of TRS assuming it'd be useful both ways.

I'm wiring the lead so it's one long 'balanced' (well mic cable) run from mixer insert point to comp input, and then a short jump out of the input jack to the output jack. I'm pretty much the only guy to be using the cables, so I'll know which is send and which is return... they'll be labelled too.

Thanks!

AS

• Members

Originally posted by prosigna

Oh so many conflicting answers.
:eek:

9 times out of 10 you will ground the ring on a TRS Balanced output. I do not recomend you guess. Look it up.
:wave:

This is only for a possible reduction in noise between a console and the INPUT to a balanced device, but grounding the ring is not the solution IF you choose this path. The option here is to tie the console ground to the "-" input thereby lifting the ckt ground via the differential input "-" reference. This may or may not improve things, but generally even if there is improvement it's pretty small.

The reason for grounding the ring to the input of the effect is that you must create a reference for the "-' input of a balanced TRS device. It doesn't matter if it's an active differential amp input or transformer input. Floating the ckt gound (input shield) and using the "-" input as the reference is supplimental and MAY cause other problems like oscillation or RFI problems.

On outputs, it generally doesn't matter on an active balanced, it will work both ways since ANY reasonable piece of equipment uses output buildout resistors. Transformer isolated outputs must have ring (or "-") tied to sleeve otherwise all you have is a common mode signal which will result in the theoretical zero.

• Members

then a short jump out of the input jack to the output jack.

Thats how I built mine- I just remember that the plug on short jumper is always the return.

Wiring this way can efectively double the amount of inserts on an insert snake compared to using seperate pairs- Technically there could be some cross talk from output to input but I haven't had any problems.

Archived