Addressing Issues of Power Handling

• Members

The following is from an LSI subwoofer roundup, and notice the details into how high power handling is achieved without mechanical fatigue and issues that plague more common speakers. I would expect a real power handling in excesss of 1000 watts RMS for a driver like this because mechanical fatigue issues have been carefully considered in the spider design. With a 6" VC, the spider will be well over 8" in diameter which creates a more linear motion control at the cone neck. This is one of the weak points with modern drivers using conventional size spiders and VC's.

I don't know how the driver sounds though, but it should hold up well in any event.

Turbosound TSW-721

www.turbosound.com

Manufacturers Take: The TSW-721 features a 21in driver with a 6in voice-coil mounted in a horn-loaded band-pass configuration. The driver voice coil is held by four fortified large diameter suspensions, which allow linear travel but do not age with high excursions.

The coil is made of laminated fiberglass, which makes it very rigid and less prone to losing shape, and the assembly is mounted in an extremely strong cast chassis.

Designed as a touring cabinet, the TSW-721 is fitted with wheels, protective grill and coated with a strong paint that allows the cabinets to slide across one another easily when packing or stacking. It also has hardware fitted so that the cabinets can be flown easily with other Turbosound touring cabinets.

Our Take: The biggest available transducers in any tour sound subwoofer system. While slightly long in the tooth, the TSW-721 remains in your face. We wonder what will take its place.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

January/February 2002 Live Sound International

• Members

If I remember correctly, Turbosound used to use Fane Acoustics, then moved over to Precision Devices.

I doubt it's the exact woofer. However, I'm pretty sure they are the OEM manufacter for Turbosound's woofers.

You can also checkout http://www.funktion-one.com/home.htm

Tony Andrews together with John Newsham founded Turbosound in the mid 1970s and brought that company to prominence through several generations of revolutionary loudspeaker designs. Notable examples include the TMS-3, Flashlight and Floodlight systems. During the period of Tony and John's ownership of Turbosound they pioneered and established many of the principles which subsequently became standard audio industry practice. Whilst often imitated, their designs have not been surpassed and have been the first choice of many permanent and touring sound applications around the world.

Following a period of growing unrest and the purchase of Turbosound by AKG, Tony and John leapt at an opportunity to sever their ties, feeling that Turbosound was no longer an avenue of creative expression for them. Upon leaving Turbosound in 1992 they formed Funktion One along with several other members of the original Turbosound R & D team.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

I would expect a real power handling in excesss of 1000 watts RMS for a driver like this because ...

At what frequency? With what material? sine wave? shaped noise? For how long?

The number itself means nothing without defining these other numbers. Andy, it seems that you are fond of saying that a woofer should handle whatever power you said.

My point is it all depends on these details I asked above. I go watch our speakers do it day after day every time I run over to the speaker line where we burn in/up samples every time we run them ... and they pass every time. If for some reason they didn't, the line is stopped and the speakers are torn down and rebuilt. They don't leave the factory til they pass spec.

We run ours to AES Standard 2-1984 (which is not the way other's do it ... so maybe that's the reason for your statements). I'm not trying to be cranky, but your blanket statements about speaker power handling don't fit (well me anyway). I'm sure that JBL passes their spec too (but their spec is not the same as my spec ... please don't look at the numbers and think they mean the same thing). A 1000W here in Mississippi is not the same thing as 1000W in San Fernando. Just remember ... the spec is a repeatable reference ... it may or may not have anything to do with the real world.

• Members

Don,

Look at the details of construction... a 6" diameter voice coil (w/ at least a 1" winding height) pretty much takes care of thermal issues (radiating surface of 36 sq in vs 24 sq in typ or a 33% increase) and the dual or triple spider w/ the large spider outside diameter makes the whole linearity of the spring excursion much less of a problem for mechanical fatigue and tearing as well. There are serious mechanical limitations with a 4" voicecoil and 6 or 7" spider OD. From a engineering reasonablity perspective, the numbers seem more reasonable.

What is not disclosed is if they were able to achieve suitable TS parameters to make the driver indeed useful, though it's being used by some reputable firms.

What happens to drivers after 10-100 hours doesn't matter, how about 2000 hours? Fatigue is a function of over-excursion beyond the material's linear properties. It accumulates over time under those conditions, like the number of pressurizations and depressurizations of a jet's fusilage. There's only so many times you can do this before it fails.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by dboomer

At what frequency? With what material? sine wave? shaped noise? For how long?

The number itself means nothing without defining these other numbers. Andy, it seems that you are fond of saying that a woofer should handle whatever power you said.

I would interpret Andy's "real power handling" to mean that the driver in question can be hooked to a 1,000w RMS amp and used day-in day-out for it's intended service, in this case touring sound, for a few years without undo fear of the driver failing or degrading significantly.

Defining a lot of specs is great, and if there was a common spec it would be better than great.....it would be useful. But until that time rolls around, the fact that as you said, 1000w in Mississippi ain't 1000w in California, means that all these numbers are also relativelyh useless.

Archived